Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

online store

Options
  • 22-11-2009 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I would like to open an online shop, was thinking of using yahoo stores to create the online store, will be selling 150 or so products, fairly basic shop needed, i import the products put them in the store and sell them as they are. Dont know what kind of volume i might sell, but i will start small and think big. My Market research suggests that the products have the potential to sell very well.
    Has anyone used yahoo or would anyone recommend i try a different route.
    I have basic knowledge of dreamweaver and have created a number of small websites before but dont think i have the skills to create a good online shop of this size

Thanks

Comments

Had a mate who ran a yahoo store for years. It looked shocking, but he reckons he was doing great business on it selling electrical gear. I have my doubts, as he shut up shop about 3 years ago...

I'm evaluating actinic for a client at the moment - have a look at it...

• Registered Users Posts: 40 noel69

cheers, looks good, not bad on price too, i will consider it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭HandWS LTD

Yahoo store is not that great. You can get free one's online and do it up yourself. As you have created small sites before....you can redesign a free shopping cart....it may take time on your first try.....but then you can make one the next time you are asked to make a ecommerce site and it'll be easier. Your web host may provide you with some free shopping carts to help you get started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 webtargets

I recommend magento

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Download Magento or Prestashop, install them on a web server and see how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

+1 for Magento.

There are screenshots and a demo at: http://www.magentocommerce.com/media/screenshots

Get some web hosting and install Magento on it. You can follow a YouTube installation tutorial or ask your webhost if you get stuck installing it. It'll be much better than a Yahoo! shop.

You won't need to use Dreamweaver, although some basic knowledge of HTML coding will be beneficial if you want to edit page templates etc. through the Admin area of the Content Management System. It's not difficult at all to manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

+2 for Magento, fast becoming the standard for eCommerce sites. Also, you will get away with the community edition for hosting a product catalog of that size, and most of the stuff you will need (payment gateway integration, PCI) will be included in there.

you might need to enlist the help of a PHP/MySQL person to help you install it, but once its done, there's little or no maintenance involved.

I steer away from these "syndicated" free online shop services, as there's little or no customisation allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pauldiv

Drupal also has ecommerce modules available for it.
    Has anyone used Drupal for an online store and got any opinion on using it as a solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Bear in mind that the hosting requirement for magento might be a bit higher than for some of the other options. I'm torn between magento and zencart at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

MOH wrote: »
    Bear in mind that the hosting requirement for magento might be a bit higher than for some of the other options. I'm torn between magento and zencart at the moment.

Magento can be a bit much for a shared hosting environment alrite. Really benefits from a Dedicated server.

• Advertisement
Advertisement