Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unusual interests...

Options
  • 22-11-2009 4:01pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Time for my bi monthly "alternative remit of the Nocturnal forum" thread.

Was just thinking about this last night in Bill Bailey.

The place was jam packed. I don't know when Bill became mainstream- but no doubt he is, to be honest.

There was alot of things I did when I was younger which were fringe interests then- such as video gaming, anime- which could be considered fringe or unusual or to some people just strange. (Imagine explaining Dominion Tank Police to someone who has only seen cartoons as a kids medium). These days, everyone has a Wii, pokemon has popularised the japanese animation medium and you can even see the odd anime in the cinema here.

With comic book films, even comics have become mainstream.

Now of course with all of the above, I realised, they all have their darker or less mainstream forms- you can still go see underground commedians if you're into that stuff (I do, in fact, attend as many small scale comedy shows as possible).

So my question is- do you have an interest in anything which is considered unusual or weird? Anything you don't really let most people know?

Me for example, I'm left with an answer in mysticism in the ealy 1900s. The Hermetic Order fo the Golden Dawn, Aleister Crowley, all that stuff. It all intrigues me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I have an unhealty interest in Zombies. I have an ever growing movie and book collection. My close friends and lovers are aware of my interest and are mostly baffled by it. Poor fools, hopefully they will realise how important my research is before it is too late.

• Moderators Posts: 51,805 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

So my question is- do you have an interest in anything which is considered unusual or weird? Anything you don't really let most people know?

Me going to boards beers meets both of those criteria:pac:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

koth wrote: »
    Me going to boards beers meets both of those criteria:pac:

Really? Most of my friends know who 'doom' is and what he gets up to!

• Moderators Posts: 51,805 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

:D

it depends. My younger family and members know about boards but find the idea of the beers a bit weird. But the idea of boards itself is weird enough for others.

EDIT: as for unusual interests, a lot of the stuff the was unusual growing up is mainstream now.
    Comics, anime, computer games and foreign movies would be some off the top of my head.
    On the plus side, bringing my dad to see V for Vendetta was really cool.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I used to be a hardcore gamer...

Erm, rock music, video-gaming and rugby are the only things I'd be into that are a bit unusual I suppose. That and classics, philosophy and writing. But meh. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Rugby is not unusual.. :P

I don't even know if any of my interests are particularly unusual. I think it's more that the combination of interests I have together would be unusual. I mean, I like maths and physics, but then I like all sports ever... :P

Actually, scratch that, I think maths and physics are probably unusual in their own rights!

Aoibheann wrote: »
    Rugby is not unusual.. :P

I don't even know if any of my interests are particularly unusual. I think it's more that the combination of interests I have together would be unusual. I mean, I like maths and physics, but then I like all sports ever... :P

Actually, scratch that, I think maths and physics are probably unusual in their own rights!

Nerd. :pac:

And rugby's only normal if you're really posh. Or from Limerick. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Nerd. :pac:

And rugby's only normal if you're really posh. Or from Limerick. :p

We've established that I'm a nerd many times.. :D

Oi, I'm not posh, or from Limerick. The fact that my mother is has NOTHING to do with the fact that I like rugby.. :pac: My dad did happen to play as a teenager though, as did my mum. Until they both broke their noses at least once that is..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I don't even know if any of my interests are particularly unusual. I think it's more that the combination of interests I have together would be unusual.
    Same here, I'm a huge computer and maths geek (I think being a female CS postgrad makes me unusual straight away), but I also love running, martial arts and swimming.

We've established that I'm a nerd many times.. :D

Oi, I'm not posh, or from Limerick. The fact that my mother is has NOTHING to do with the fact that I like rugby.. :pac: My dad did happen to play as a teenager though, as did my mum. Until they both broke their noses at least once that is..

Probably an application of the takes one to know one principle. :o:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭tommmy1979

I've a huge collection of beer mats, mostly pre 1992-ish.

I like maps too.. an old map could keep me happy for hours

Antique diamond cuts. (I swear I hate weddings)
    Rockabilly, Rock and roll and Bluegrass.
    Tony Danza.
    Opera.
    Vintage tractors.
    Ceramics.
    Watching alpine ski racing.
    Italian futurism.
    Classic film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I frequently go to the cinema alone, once sometimes even twice a week. At weird times too. I dunno, I just love sitting in a near empty cinema for two hours where I am totally oblivious to what is happening outside. Even if it's a bad film I don't care, I think that is quite evident from my postings in The Lair on Friday. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

same here. close core group fully get who this nerin fellow is and what hes up to. the outward circle of friends know i do "something" internet related. what i like about them is most of them aren't mad into net stuff but still were the first to help me test my site especially the forums. other than that nothing particularly odd. oh, the monster hunting...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

Neither are really unusual interests but I still remember when I was a teenager people thought it was weird that I was into rock, ska, punk & hardcore yet I played trad music.

LZ I've never gone to the cinema on my own for the simple reason that I'm one of those obnoxious people who has to comment on everything that's happening onscreen. :P

LZ I've never gone to the cinema on my own for the simple reason that I'm one of those obnoxious people who has to comment on everything that's happening onscreen. :P

:eek:

Shocking. :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

I enjoy collecting historical information of a violent nature. I find it astonishing the number of people who accomplished feats modern people would deride as impossible in a movie, much less real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I frequently go to the cinema alone, once sometimes even twice a week. At weird times too. I dunno, I just love sitting in a near empty cinema for two hours where I am totally oblivious to what is happening outside. Even if it's a bad film I don't care, I think that is quite evident from my postings in The Lair on Friday. :p

Know that feeling, especially if the film is really great and you get completely lost in it, in your own little world :D

I suppose when I was younger, I was a little addicted to a roleplaying game :o Alot of people wouldn't of understood what it was or why it was so addictively fun. To this day I keep pretty hush hush over it. >.>

Shhhh, don't tell anyone!! :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Zwillinge wrote: »
    Know that feeling, especially if the film is really great and you get completely lost in it, in your own little world :D

I suppose when I was younger, I was a little addicted to a roleplaying game :o Alot of people wouldn't of understood what it was or why it was so addictively fun. To this day I keep pretty hush hush over it. >.>

Shhhh, don't tell anyone!! :pac:
    So, I shouldn't mention two year spent running a roleplaying game, gotcha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

So, I shouldn't mention two year spent running a roleplaying game, gotcha

Exactly ;)

Though I have since gone back to that roleplay game within the last hour for nostalgia... Just realised how much I missed it :o:o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

A lot of my interests are now somewhat more popular than they once were - computerating, gaming, sci-fi, metal.

That said, I'm into pretty obscure metal by comparison to most - it's either depressingly slow and oppressive Doom/Drone or maniacally fast and brutal Grind/Death.

I've dabbled in RPGs, looking to get further involved with that.

I write unpleasant music designed to disturb and upset people and will, upon becoming Emperor of Earth, commit acts of genocide hither-to unimagined by even the most insane of tyrants. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Probably my wierd things would be, like LZ said...a real love of going to cinema alone and getting lost in a good movie:) I used to be a hardcore gamer too, an unhealthy obsession with Dark Age of Camelot does nothing but bad stuff to your life:p

I dont listen purely to one type of music, it will change at random from mellow stuff like Andrew Bird or The Script, to RnB or Hardstyle Dance or Rock/Metal

These days i dont game but like to go running, i'm a hurler (in Dublin its not so common as outside it) i love walking in the rain for some reason...seeing leaves swirl around in the air too, people trying to understand why i'm vegetarian is a good one to explain lol.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Zwillinge wrote: »
    Exactly ;)

Though I have since gone back to that roleplay game within the last hour for nostalgia... Just realised how much I missed it :o:o

Im intrigued,What game is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

When I was in school back in te late 90's i was considered a bit odd for being into rock and 80's glam/hair metal!!

Now I am busy setting up Ireland's 1st Roller Derby League with some girls I met online I spend most of my time expaining what the heck it is to friends and family! Alot of people haven't heard of it here but I do actually want to get it more exposure. It is hard to get sponsorship for a sport that is seen as totally underground here.

giddybootz wrote: »
    When I was in school back in te late 90's i was considered a bit odd for being into rock and 80's glam/hair metal!!

Now I am busy setting up Ireland's 1st Roller Derby League with some girls I met online I spend most of my time expaining what the heck it is to friends and family! Alot of people haven't heard of it here but I do actually want to get it more exposure. It is hard to get sponsorship for a sport that is seen as totally underground here.

I'd say using boards would be a good start to gain exposure. I'm not sure what category roller derby would fall under, would it be extreme sports or outdoor sports or something? Anyway if it does fall under one of those categories maybe the mods might let you put a thread up inviting people to join. Don't take my word for it though. :o:p

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Video games, dinosaurs, transformers.. he things that used to make me seemvinteresting. They've all become very mainstream.
    Im not as into gaming as I used to be. Not because of non-conformism mind you, just dont get the same kick.
    Transformers are EVERYWHERE now. When I was in school I was the only fan. sure a few people had fond memories, but nobody really knew much about them.
    Dinosaurs reached their mainstream peak with Jurassic Park. Its eased off now (I blame JP3) somewhat. Although they are more mainstream than they used to be. i guess its due to high quality CGI documentaries like Walking With Dinosaurs etc. The forum is still eerily quiet though..

I would say comics too, but I only got involved when they started getting into the limelight again.

Like LZ I also enjoy going to the cinema on my own. Lots of people think that's weird, but sometimes its cool not to have to put up with people's BS and jus enjoy the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

giddybootz wrote: »

A Dublin lad out in NZ was going on and on and on to me about how I should join the roller girls thing!!:eek:

-None of my mates can understand the whole concept of chatting to random strangers on the internet.

-I like making lists even though other people think they are pointless (F*** You!).

-I like being by myself at times, have no problem with that, yet alot of mates can't get their heads around it and take bloody offense -.-

-Love subtitled films, NONE of my mates would understand that or want to watch them so I never bother discussing them.

-The whole space thing is amazing. Would quite like to get more into that.

-Would have a general interest in nearly everything that is going. I just can't remember important times/dates/names etc so I could never be a spokesperson for anything :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Toasty113

Hmm, unusual interests, well I suppose my taste in music is odd at times:pac: I like listening to rock and such, but I often listen to plenty other types like rap, ska, electro, indy, alternative and of course I listen to a good few obscure bands no-one has ever heard of.

I juggle. Alot. Though I'm not sure if thats all that unusual, suppose it is. Within juggling I do alot of unusual things though, contact, flower sticks and staff arent the most common:)

Oh and I like to examine things, that one can be weird at times. If I find something interesting I find out absolutley everything I can about it! And if I get my hand on the object in question, I can sit there and stare at it for hours on end, absorbing absolutley every detail about it:pac:

Other than that I airsoft which isnt quite mainstream yet, and I have some odd beliefs, which I wont go into detail here since Ive still to solidify them for myself

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Toasty113 wrote: »
    Hmm, unusual interests, well I suppose my taste in music is odd at times:pac: I like listening to rock and such, but I often listen to plenty other types like rap, ska, electro, indy, alternative and of course I listen to a good few obscure bands no-one has ever heard of.

I juggle. Alot.
    Other than that I airsoft which isnt quite mainstream yet, and I have some odd beliefs, which I wont go into detail here since Ive still to solidify them for myself

Oh yeah forgot about the whole music thing.
    I've had to accept that certain friends will never open up to the possibilty of other genres.
    Well by GOD, when I ever have a car of my own, only my flippin' music will be allowed. Which has always been their excuse when I wanted to put on a CD.

Same as when I move into this house...HAAAAA...in yo faces friends! :D

Juggling thing is pretty cool! Fair play.
    Things like that just frustrate me and I give up too easily.
    I keep hearing about this airsoft thing yet haven't a clue what on earth it is.
    *Trots off to investigate*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Toasty113

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    Juggling thing is pretty cool! Fair play.
    Things like that just frustrate me and I give up too easily.
    I keep hearing about this airsoft thing yet haven't a clue what on earth it is.
    *Trots off to investigate*

Haha, it took me three weeks of constant juggling before I could get it. I was a very slow learner, I just didnt give up! Besides, if you cant juggling, try one of the other types. I know people who've been trying for ages and cant juggle but would whip me around the palce with a Diablo:pac:

Advertisement