Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Releasing goldfish in to park ponds

Options
  • 22-11-2009 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭

Any thoughts on releasing goldfish in to a park pond.
    Whys and why nots?
    Where or where not?

We have a six inch goldfish probably a comet (now completely silver) getting too big for tank and my wife wants to release it to a large pond or similar rather than giving it away. Seems pretty healthy and hardy.

Suggestions of a non culinary nature please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GALWAYINDOOR

hi
    i dont think you should release the fish into a park pond im not to sure if thats even legal why not contact petshops ? im sure someone will take it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Releasing any non-native animal should be discouraged, you never know what the impact on the native wildlife would be. I think you should search for a captive home for the fish even if it takes awhile, it's the responsiblity you take on whenever to decide to keep any animal. Start your search with petshops, if they cannot take it they might have suggestions of who could, even the likes of shopping centres often have huge tanks displaying fish like yours which could also be an option

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

So you are releasing an animal, which is used to having its food handed to it, into a pond where they have to suddenly learn how to find food? It would be dead within a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Where you based?

If your around the Walkinstown area ive a big pond you can put him into. We have a few fish in there already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Not a good idea, you took on the animal and should of done the research first and then you'd of realised the fish would grow. So it's your responsibility to provide the animal with a larger home or rehome it to someone who can.
    Not just dump the poor fish off somewhere because you no longer want it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Where you based?

If your around the Walkinstown area ive a big pond you can put him into. We have a few fish in there already.

No matter where your based, this is the answer to your problem, get onto this person and get the fish sorted..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ManyQuestions

Fish thats been hand feed and kept in relatively warm clean water?
    Good way to kill it....put it in a public pond.....the gulls will love you!

Give it to someone with their own pond. OR, sell it back to your local fish store. Depending on the breed, could be a couple of quid in it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Calm down people. He asked would it be ok to do, he never said he was actually doing it. Whats the point in all the smart answers. Read posts before you get on your high horse.
    Op, no it would not be a good idea to put the fish into a pond. As one or two nice people already said, why not try the local pet shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chiaki

i used to work in a petshop and lots of ppl would buy large goldfish/koi etc for ponds. usually averaging 15-20 a fish so advertise him, someone will take him!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Cheers for your constructive replies, perhaps I shouldnt have ruled out the culinary suggestions after all. TBH we have been preparing him for this eventuality, walking lessons, foreign language classes, outdoor survival courses, stamina and endurance training. Now that he is able to get the lid off his food himself I think he is ready.

I was disappointed in the obvious lack knowledge on the subject considering some of the answers.

Funnily enough when asked if he wanted to be dumped in to some overcrowded dirty tank in the back of a shop in the hope of being adopted by a 10 year old with a bowl and eventually go on a great white porcelain ride, he said NO.

For personal and private reasons he chose freedom rather than being passed on to another cell.
    He came from a large pond by way of subterfuge and compassion and thats where we would prefer him to return.

I had considered garden centres, hotel ponds etc where there may be existing tended stock rather a single owner. However despite the orders of post 7 and if no other useful suggestions I may consider your kind offer PS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

I also have a pond based in Thurles, Tipperary and will be happy to take the fish on if that's any nearer for you.

As regards some of the comments here, in fairness you're a bit over the top.
    The OP asked for advice, instead of simply visiting his local park and dropping a fish in a lake/pond.

OP, the suggestions regarding your local pet shop, shopping centres, or even something like a garden centre or golf club etc are all worthwhile. If you have no luck, you could put an ad up on donedeal or in your local paper giving the fish away for free.

If not, then I'm sure your local petshop will be able to offer the fish to the next individual who comes in looking for a load of pond food!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chiaki

wil wrote: »
    TBH we have been preparing him for this eventuality, walking lessons, foreign language classes, outdoor survival courses, stamina and endurance training. Now that he is able to get the lid off his food himself I think he is ready.

Funnily enough when asked if he wanted to be dumped in to some overcrowded dirty tank in the back of a shop in the hope of being adopted by a 10 year old with a bowl and eventually go on a great white porcelain ride, he said NO.

lol i like your fishes attitude :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

wil wrote: »

For personal and private reasons he chose freedom rather than being passed on to another cell.
    He came from a large pond by way of subterfuge and compassion and thats where we would prefer him to return.

So you stole him from a large pond and kept him in a tank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

I also have a mega pond its over 25feet long etc - lots of plants & a handful of fish at the moment. I am in Laois tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

I know someone in Kerry who could take him, depending on where the OP is based.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Wheelsonthebus

Just wondering how this turned out? Did you release him in the end?

Advertisement