Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Public service strike - bus interruption?

• 22-11-2009 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

In terms of the strike on Tuesday, does anyone know whether buses and trains in Dublin will be affected? Dublin Bus never seem to know anything, they hadn't a clue about diversions or cancellations for the last strike so I was wondering if anyone here knows anything.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

From the company that doesn't know anything's website:

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Travel-News/Public-Service-Strike/

Public Service Strike.
    Monday, November 23, 2009

Dublin Bus services will not be affected by the Public Sector Strike due to take place on Tuesday 24th November. A full service will operate on all routes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

There is no official action planned for the commercial semi-states

however...there has been talk of unofficial wildcat strikes on the day..hopefully that wont happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

But don't expect DB drivers to pass any pickets - Hospitals/University Campus etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭whodoo

Riskymove wrote: »

wildcat strikes

sounds scary.....:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

whodoo wrote: »
    sounds scary.....:eek:

RAWR.

Seriously, today was lovely - no traffic at all. I was at work 20 minutes faster than on a normal day. Buses ran just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭digital_d

Dublin Bus staff members are not participating in today’s Public Sector Strike - unless you live on any of these routes and normaly travel from stops in hospital grounds/UCD:

Dublin Bus staff members are not participating in today’s Public Sector Strike. A full service will operate on all routes with the following minor alterations: -

Route 10
    will terminate on the Slip Road at UCD.
    Route 27B, 42A & 104
    will not enter Beaumont Hospital, nearest stop Kilbarron Road.
    Route 123
    will not enter St. James Hospital, nearest stop Mount Brown/James Street.
    Route 220
    will not enter James Connolly Memorial Hospital, nearest stop Snugborough Road.

Now - maybe it's just me, but the drivers not passing pickets could have been realised in advance - dublin bus stated "Dublin Bus staff members are not participating in today’s Public Sector Strike" until mid morning today Perhaps they could have stated these amendemets in advance so people could plan - rather than updating the website after people complained about it!

My OH was left waiting ages this morning for a bus at a stop outside hospital as the bus cut out not only the 1 stop in the hospital, but also blanch 2 in village, and 1 waterville road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

I hear there could be another strike on Dec 4th. Does anyone know if Bus Eireann services will be affected?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

chewed wrote: »
    I hear there could be another strike on Dec 4th.

"Public sector unions have confirmed that they will hold a second strike on 3 December, unless agreement is reached in negotiations with the Government."

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1124/partnership.html

If they weren't affected yesterday, I doubt they will be affected next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

Thanks Cionád.

How come the Transport workers are not getting involved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

The transport workers work for semi-state companies that are not part of the public sector as such. They are not subject to the pension levy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

digital_d wrote: »
    Dublin Bus staff members are not participating in today’s Public Sector Strike - unless you live on any of these routes and normaly travel from stops in hospital grounds/UCD:

Dublin Bus staff members are not participating in today’s Public Sector Strike. A full service will operate on all routes with the following minor alterations: -

Route 10
    will terminate on the Slip Road at UCD.
    Route 27B, 42A & 104
    will not enter Beaumont Hospital, nearest stop Kilbarron Road.
    Route 123
    will not enter St. James Hospital, nearest stop Mount Brown/James Street.
    Route 220
    will not enter James Connolly Memorial Hospital, nearest stop Snugborough Road.

Now - maybe it's just me, but the drivers not passing pickets could have been realised in advance - dublin bus stated "Dublin Bus staff members are not participating in today’s Public Sector Strike" until mid morning today Perhaps they could have stated these amendemets in advance so people could plan - rather than updating the website after people complained about it!

My OH was left waiting ages this morning for a bus at a stop outside hospital as the bus cut out not only the 1 stop in the hospital, but also blanch 2 in village, and 1 waterville road.

+1
    DB knew well in advance this would be the case but didn't bother to update people. Lots of people were left waiting at bus stops inside ucd with no notices placed up. Couple of laminates would have taken 5 minutes to make.
    Also while I don't know the northside routes too well, how is
    "will not enter St. James Hospital, nearest stop Mount Brown/James Street." supposed to provide a customer looking to get the 123 with enough information? Obviously a number of bus stops would be inactive because of diverting around St James, and they should all be listed. It's not rocket science, it's just basic customer service.

Advertisement