Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fascinators: Are they in or out?

• 22-11-2009 5:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭

Hiya,

I'm going to a wedding in a few weeks, and am planning to wear a gorgeous black dress.

I'd like to brighten it up so will have either red or pink shoes and a matching bag.

I was also thinking of wearing something in my hair, do you like fascinators or are they for older ppl? (if you've never heard them called that before, they're those not-quite-hat things you wear in your hair with feathers, etc, I only found out what they were called a few days ago!)

So what do ye think??? Would the shoes and bag be enough or should I wear something in my hair too?

Cheers!!! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I think they're lovely for weddings and stuff, I just hate that people are wearing them in their everyday outfits now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Ooh Phasers would hate me, Im always wearing something in my hair, not the massive feathery ribbony ones for everyday but even a fancy clip! I think they can look lovely. I went to a summer wedding there in june, and wore a black one (i went in red and black) and was actually only one of THREE people win wore them. So even if they are going out of fashion ill be sticking with them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

IMO they look silly. Like why do you want things sticking out of your head? :confused:

If your hair was sticking up like that you would smooth it down. If you stood in front of a plant and a photograph was taken of you that looked like the leaves were sticking out of your head you'd laugh at it.

So why do women deliberately wear these things that look like crazy objects sticking out of their head?

I also think they make you look older. 35 year old women end up looking about 45 when they wear then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

I think they can look good but they need to be chosen really carefully and tested from all angles, which most people don't do. I've only seen elegant looking fascinators in magazine photos, never on a live person. In real life most of them look like aviary escapees, perched on heads to avoid detection. Also if they look decent from the front they tend to look hilarious from the side and vice versa.

I'd go for a smaller one that doesn't stick out too much, more of a decorated clasp really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

herya wrote: »
    I'd go for a smaller one that doesn't stick out too much, more of a decorated clasp really.

Yes a vintagey antiquey clasp can look really classy and elegant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Does anyone have suggestions where I could find something a little more understated then? (like a decorated clasp?)

Thanks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

I find ebay great for hair accessories for weddings - I've usually gone for flowers as it's mostly been summer weddings that I've been at, but I'm sure if you looked you'd find anything. The flowers I've bought would be similar or better than ones in Accessorize, and about 1/4 of the price too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

Accesorize sell lovely ones. At my cousin's wedding a few months ago a family member wore a mini top hat fascinator and it looked great. Weddings are all about getting glammed up and going over the top with things so I'd say go for it. If you find the right one it can look great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

They deffo aren't for everybody; but regardless of age,if they suit you and your outfit then GO FOR IT!!! They can look great; especially for weddings:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Clares Accessories(?) have the makings for facinators if you are feeling artsy&craftsy. Otherwise you can have one made for you to your specifications, to match/contrast/complement your outfit.

I'll PM you with an web-addy to look at if you want to go with having one made.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Foxrock Fillies in Blackrock have a large range of fascinators and bits like that which they rent out for a pretty good price. Saves you shelling out or being stuck with something you might not wear again.

http://foxrockfillies.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

OldGoat wrote: »
    Clares Accessories(?) have the makings for facinators if you are feeling artsy&craftsy. Otherwise you can have one made for you to your specifications, to match/contrast/complement your outfit.

I'll PM you with an web-addy to look at if you want to go with having one made.

Oooh could you pm me that too? I'm an addict:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

I think they are gorgeous

You can wear it understated too

I just love this kind! - http://www.monsoon.co.uk/invt/68651703&bklist=icat,5,shop,accessorize,hairaccz,alicebands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I tried on a gorgeous one in Debenhams a few weeks back, it was more like a fancy hairband, it was gorgeous! Definitely do something like that, would brighten up a dress beautifully :)

Advertisement