Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What in your opinion is the best way of marketing this website?

Options
  • 22-11-2009 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

This site is just floated http://www.marinedirectory.ie so it is not yet indexed by Google. However there is a bit of a catch 22 situation, I need the hits to get the advertisers in and I need the content from the advertisers to get the hits. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

You need to get the site and business model right first of all.

A few notes on the design.

The header image is too big pushing the content area down. The blue background should be made transparent so the page background shows through. It should link to the homepage.

Some of the white text is hard to read against the whiter parts of the background image. Most successful sites use black on white or light backgrounds for the simple reason that it works best.

Your link colours need to change with at least more contrast if not a different colour. The Click here is hard to see on the section pages.

Moving text is a distraction, dump it. More on this later.

You need to use headings, alt tags and other semantic html markup properly - important for search engines.

A breadcrumb on each page would be handy.

There are too many categories. Reduce the number at least for the begining. You can use expandable lists later if the need is there later.

Dump the hit counter - so last millenium.

Your layout is in tables which will hobble you when you want to make big changes later.

Advertise here button on every section page.

You have no search function which is a killer.

Content:
    You need a privacy policy, terms and conditions info linked form the footer and dump the link to geminidawn.com as it is a parking page.

You need a contact page with a form and real world address for trust. Email links don't cut it at all.

You should also have a company info page including RBN.

Your payment system is not in place!!!!

The Catch-22's
    Your advertising model doesn't include a FREE LISTING option and other tiered options: enhanced listing, top spot positioning, homepage placement, customised pages. Without the free option, you are real danger of never getting off the ground. You will not get a critical mass of ads without it and your credibility will take a big hit. You can rethink that later after you have that critical mass. Zumpty.ie tried a similar thing here without the free option and currently appears to have failed within months despite lots of great publicity.

I often do contract work for a site like this but in the medical market and they copped onto this very early. So much so that they raided sources like the Golden Pages and medical directories and gave companies listed there a free basic listing. They are going strong after 4+ years in a tough market.

You need case studies which includes endorsements and conversion info (number of ad views, ad clicks, enquiries made and ultimately the number of sales which resulted). Currently I can't see how you're measuring this - you need some sort of redirect to measure the links clicked.

Your Homepage:
    The featured ad needs to be moved right to make the main content area bigger. Likewise the left hand links need to be moved left a bit. You can pick up around 60 extra pixels for the main content.

The main content needs to dumped almost completely. You have fallen into the classic homepage trap of addressing your own concerns. You need this space to address your prospective advertisers and users looking for suppliers. Put yourself in their shoes and address their issues and provide solutions to those issues. Issue, solution, call to action is the format for this with snappy text and no waffling. Successful sites have homepages which get to the point with no waffle. You need to do something like split the area into 2 functional areas. One for something like premium listings, upcoming events etc. and the other to sell your adverts using bright orange buttons with Get a FREE (basic) listing, Get tier 1 listing called something like Bronze listing, Get Silver listing, Get Gold listing. Regular, Pro, Premium could be another naming scheme. These link to pages with the endorsements, conversion info and any other sales info and then have a signup form at the bottom. Your current 'advertise with us' is stuffed out of the way in the bottm left.

You need to think about what people look at when they arrive. They usually start at the logo, then onto other standout visual elements. So these elements must be exploited properly and not subjected to the distraction of moving text especially when it has low value content. To much text and you risk boring the visitor.

Dinner is on the table, gotta go.

Hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭geminidawn

Wow a lot of effort tricky D thanks for that, some good points too. This is my first attempt at a website so your opinion really counts! I guess you'll see some of the changes you mentioned over the next few days. Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 omaniblog

What a great collection of advice you have already. You really have enough to be getting on with. I've scanned the advice and may have missed this suggestion.

A blog. What blogs do is that they attract people to your website. As a blogger you would need to become known on the blogs of others.

Twitter too... another story.

I wish you well with your venture.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I think you're reeling in an old boot

What does "reeling in an old boot mean"? Please

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

Zabbo means that the concept of launching a "directory" site hoping to make money off ads has been done so many times and the success rates are so low that it's a difficult hurdle to get over the catch 22. No traffic, means no advertising.

I'm on the board of a Marine Tech business and can tell you that particularly at the moment there's very little money floating around (no pun intended). Keeping in mind that hits and page views are two very different things, advertising revenue would be quite little unless you can quantify sales to the sellers using the site - ie. affiliate the sales made and take a higher commission.

If i were you i'd steer more towards a user generated content model - Great for SEO and captivating the audience to return to discussions. Loose the stat counter on the home page, it's counter productive in my opinion.

I wouldn't rely on the advertisers to create content as it will most likely be duplicate, if you have the time i'd strongly suggest adding a blog and posting regularily to build up some authority for your site in the industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 MarysCross

You've done very little keyword or simile research, your copy needs to be stronger on density of these terms/phrases. You also need more copy and contextual links between them.

You display a mobile number as a contact, don't, landline, address and Vat no.

Fonts are....

MarysCross wrote: »
    You've done very little keyword or simile research, your copy needs to be stronger on density of these terms/phrases. You also need more copy and contextual links between them.

You display a mobile number as a contact, don't, landline, address and Vat no.

Fonts are....

The Keyword research was done by someone who's suppose to know about those things. I do have my landline in there and CRO Reg too, address is on the Contact page. VAT I am not registered for yet as I have not yet hit that ceiling.
    The default font is Times New Roman but I noticed this changes depending on which computer you're using.

zAbbo wrote: »
    I think you're reeling in an old boot
    :D Ha HA! Still better than not casting a line at all!

Thank you v much for such an enlightening contribution.
    By the way, I support all your suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Zabbo means that the concept of launching a "directory" site hoping to make money off ads has been done so many times and the success rates are so low that it's a difficult hurdle to get over the catch 22. No traffic, means no advertising.

I actually thought it was a joke, and was just adding my own fishing pun. But you're also right ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 drool

I wont comment on the design of the website (as i think everyone else has made it clear enough)

But the marine community is one that is very close and tight knit.
    You could rely on word of mouth once you get the web name into marine locality....and from their it will spread.

Also consider seo (search engine optimisation)

And do re design the website

drool wrote: »
    I wont comment on the design of the website (as i think everyone else has made it clear enough)

But the marine community is one that is very close and tight knit.
    You could rely on word of mouth once you get the web name into marine locality....and from their it will spread.

Also consider seo (search engine optimisation)

And do re design the website

I did some market research on the look and those that advertise and wishing to advertise are happy with it. I showed them a simple Banner with B/W text and the reply was it was too plain and unfinished looking.
    So although a lot of what tricky D said will be taken into account and changed we are trying to keep the image the same. The feed back is they like the bright colours and the marine orientation.

I am a boatbuilder to trade for over 20years and never found the marine community to be close knit, severely under developed in Ireland, but never close knit, then again you may have a point for I am not on the outside looking in. I for one always encouraged marine activity in Ireland, within my trade I'd be shooting myself in the foot if I didn't.
    Still working on the SEO it's indexed now on on the first Google page but I'm sure I can do better.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 money24seven

Right now the way to get visitors seems to be with blogs. Top marketers even recommend having upwards of 30 blogs all linked back

Hope this helps

Wilson

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

Right now the way to get visitors seems to be with blogs. Top marketers even recommend having upwards of 30 blogs all linked back

Hope this helps

Wilson

You mean have 30 splogs yourself? Don't know which experts you're listening to but you need to find new gurus. A blog is only as powerful as its incoming link juice. I can't see that approach working. You better off with one decent blog that 30 poor ones.

You mean have 30 splogs yourself? Don't know which experts you're listening to but you need to find new gurus. A blog is only as powerful as its incoming link juice. I can't see that approach working. You better off with one decent blog that 30 poor ones.

Thanks guys, someone suggested downloading forum software and having a Q & A type forum between business owners and potential customers, maybe in time, but for now I need to work on getting the listings under the titles.

Advertisement