Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone Hear A Surfer's Body Recovered Yesterday Near Ballyheigue?

Options
  • 22-11-2009 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

RTE's website had a report last night that a surfer's body was recovered off Ballyheigue yesterday. I can't find anything on the story today. Very sad if it's true. Anyone else hear this? Any name or address?

(I also posted this on Kerry Forum).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

Someone got back to you on the Kerry forum.

It appears its terrible news.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

That is terrible news, my condolences to anyone reading this who may have known the man :(

Reposting this from the Kerry forum:
    http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/
    22 Nov 2009
    Surfer dies after getting into difficulties off Banna Strand

A man has died after a surfing accident in north Kerry. It's understood he was in his early forties and was from Abbeyfeale. He got into difficulties off Banna Strand yesterday afternoon and a search operation was mounted. Fenit RNLI launched two lifeboats and the the sea rescue units from Banna and Ballyheigue were called out. The coastguard helicoptor also joined the search. The man's body was found at around 7.30pm last night near the Promenade in Ballyheigue. He was pronounced dead at Kerry General
    Stay safe folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Hovercraft

Thank you both. Saw it on Kerry Forum. Very sad indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

Its a very real reminder that water can be extremely dangerous.

My former P.E. teacher died earlier this year too.

Sad stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

RIP, very sad news indeed.

A sobering reminder to all to surf with a buddy or let people know what you are doing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PjC

oh god this is terrible. That poor family. Condolences to anyway related to him or who knows him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

RIP, sad news indeed..

Does anyone know what happened? (Sorry if that seems out of order....)

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/windsurfireland/message/11477
    While we were all enjoying the great wind and waves all over this country this weekend, it is truly tragic news to hear of the passing of Fintan Hoare in Kerry on Saturday.

I know little details as to what happened, only that he was windsurfing in Banna in small swell and nice wind, and was found hours later 6 miles further up the coast in Ballyheigue.
    There is speculation of his diabetes possibly causing him a problem whilst enjoying his sport to the fullest, but we may never know what happened.

What I do know is that Fintan was a superb sailor & surfer, one of the local Kerry crew who could brave the best conditions.
    I remember him from a few of the competitions way back, but mostly from seeing his happy face when the wind & waves were rolling in Brandon Bay. I will always remember him this way.

I just wanted to let people on these forums know (in case you hadn't heard), and to publicly express my condolences to Fintan's family.
    Also to his friends in Kerry, and to those who were windsurfing with him (a few of whom are on this forum and you would know) - as they spent many hours frantically searching for him in vain. Graham Kelliher from Tralee (E&D marine), who was one of Fintan's good friends (and mine) for 25 years, was the unfortunate person to find Fintan's body some 4 hours after he went missing.

R.I.P Fintan, you will be missed.

And please remember, be safe out there.
    Oisín.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭999/112

A Kitesurfer has died in Donegal. http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1124/donegal.html

999/112 wrote: »
    A Kitesurfer has died in Donegal. http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1124/donegal.html

Heard about that this morning. Terrible for the man's family, a bad week for Irish watersports. Hope everyone takes care during this stormy spell and looks out for each other.

• Advertisement
Advertisement