Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Street Photography

• 22-11-2009 5:23pm

Right, I've never done this before and wasn't quite sure what to do.

All comments welcome and appreciated.

Shot in Templebar today, set is here.

6F51EDBA8C6F40FE9639A44BF918DBCF-500.jpg

A1B1ADF086154250BF2BBDF367330BF6-500.jpg

2B6B80D9496A432CB8B496E371E11EB4-500.jpg

E08EF65CA37A422F8F397517BF7F2F85-500.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

I like #1, but I think the composition could be better. There's too much space above the heads for my liking (this goes for #2 and to a lesser extent, #3).

I don't like the tilt in #4 and I think it'd be better to have the woman in focus as well.

All of the photos seem a little underexposed; you could do with bringing out some more detail in the coat in #1, for example.

I do like how you've got close to people. I sense a confidence in taking photos of strangers that I certainly don't have. Well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I can't see anything of interest in any of them. In two of them it almost looks like the people are asleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Not really drawn to any of these but, good that your getting out and trying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

If that was your first attempt then I say you're on the right track. The photos themselves are very much snapshots as opposed to street in my opinion, BUT, you're taking them. And at 50mm which is wicked. The hardest part of street is equipping the brass balls and just taking the photo, so you get a thumbs up for that.

The next step is to think, now that I've proven I can get out there and take the photos, what do you want to photo? Street is very much about conveying a story of something happening on the street, or conveying everyday life. It doesn't necessarily have to be a photo of a persons face, or a photo of a person at all. By no means am I an expert, you've probably seen me pop some of my stuff up here, and it's far from where I want it to be. But these are the questions I'm beginning to ask myself right now too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Agree with what the lads are saying above. You need something more than just shots of people. There needs to be something to catch peoples attention.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

not great photographs at all, but no-ones are when they start out in street so relax on that front. You need to do some thinking about what street means to you. what style of street matches you... there are many.

look up street photographers . research and then set yourself a target to capture that look as best you can and soon you will find you finding your own style.

Also street means stepping outside your comfort zone as you have to interact with people directly and sometimes they are not very pleased at all.

stick with it.... expect to walk for hours on end in large laps of your target areas seeking that shot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Great advise lads

#1 would be good if the other girl wasnt in the back ground I think, she looks so cold and just can't wait to get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

I think it may be easier to photograph people on the street when it is not raining. Bad weather seems to make faces more introverted and nobody lingers to chat. Groups of animated conversationalists make nice photos.

I like the colour toning in your photos and there is some sensitive bokeh.

Perhaps you could find time to add them to the Combing the Streets thread, please?

http://my.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055564779

I found street photography terrifying at first and it has not lost that whiff of danger. Having stared at my camera and become aware that I was taking a photo a passerby made some indecipherable comment a few months ago. I certainly would not upload that photo, which shows that I'll probably never set out to take risks in this genre.

There are plenty of interesting people and street details around without going out on a limb.

Thanks guys for the comments.

At the very least I got some good experience of using the 50mm 'properly' and working with the autofocus!

Thanks for the comments, will be out again soon trying to put them into practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Heres is where I get most if not all my inspiration for photographing people on the street:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27789880@N02/

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Advertisement