Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Union members will work on the 24th

Options
  • 22-11-2009 5:24pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭

I know that it will disappoint some folk here but SIPTU, IMPACT and the TEEU have announced that their members will be working as normal is the flood stricken regions of Ireland - Cork, Galway etc.

It's not surprising in any way that they've come to this decision and I'm glad that we were spared the unedifying statements from politicos "demanding" that they go to work etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I think it's just the front line and outdoor workers who have had strike action deferred, not an all out cancellation of all strike action in the flooded regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Well it is their job, I'm sure they dont want to lose any little public support that remains. Also its worth noting that there are many many volunteers helping people without getting paid anything, so no high horse please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭erictheviking

Arathorn wrote: »
    Well it is their job, I'm sure they dont want to lose any little public support that remains. Also its worth noting that there are many many volunteers helping people without getting paid anything, so no high horse please.

Any Union members working Tuesday as emergency cover will also be working for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Of course they are doing it.

Someone could die if they didn't.

That would win them support. It would just be irresponsible not to do it especially when its their job to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Any Union members working Tuesday as emergency cover will also be working for free.

Surely the union could cover their wages for one day?
    It's only a fraction of their membership so they probably could cover it. Or a strike pay rate at least

After all, don't Unions accumulate reserves for this?
    If I was a union member and working for free next week I'd be wondering where my subs were going to...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

I would doubt very much the emergency services are working in the wet and cold just to get public support.

If they were just looking for public support they'd be better off doing what FF do, take out ads in the news papers saying what wonderful work they do.

Oh Mike they don't get strike pay for one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Why are they working for free?
    Surely if they turn up for work they are entitled to be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ceret

parsi wrote: »
    I know that it will disappoint some folk here but SIPTU, IMPACT and the TEEU have announced that their members will be working as normal is the flood stricken regions of Ireland - Cork, Galway etc.

It's not surprising in any way that they've come to this decision and I'm glad that we were spared the unedifying statements from politicos "demanding" that they go to work etc.

I'm glad to hear that they are working in flood affected areas. I was wondering what they were going to do. If they had stuck to their strike, they would have lost massive amounts of public sympathy.

Also, got a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

mikemac wrote: »
    If I was a union member and working for free next week I'd be wondering where my subs were going to...
    Beard trimming and new Mercs most likely.

Advertisement