Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How accurate can detailed forecasts be.

Options
  • 22-11-2009 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Galway/Galway/advanced_map.html

On exploring this site I find that one can zoom in on any area in Ireland & select a time for the rainfall projection. This seems to be pointless as surely the actual accuracy must be low with a projection.

So how accurate do you think that they can be ?. To what degree does the accuracy tail off with time ?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

How accurate do you want them to be?

Weather forecasting will never be a 100% exact science. Even in the short term, (within 6-12hrs) exact details for a specific location can be very hard to pinpoint. A meteorologist will try to make a forecast based on what trends and parameters NWP models are showing at a particular point as well as analyzing satellite data and station reports.

Yr.no probably uses one of the best short range NWP models going to issue those forecasts and has performs quite well for my wee area at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have found their general meteograms to be pretty good & I love their principle that all info is public info. It just seems odd to have a zoom & time facility that goes into such detail.

Obviously ME & UK Met can be pretty accurate & specific as long as you pay.

Advertisement