Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thierry Henry (Sunday World)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Des wrote: »
    But it really appeals to the type of person who'd buy the NOTW
    I hate it when people say things like this. Granted some of these papers can be rags and contain a lot of bull****. My Dad buys the NOTW and the mail now and again, to read the sports (well soccer really). He finds the independent and the likes heavy reading

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,465 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I like having a read of the transfer gossip and the like in the Sunday papers such as the Sunday World and NOTW. When I want to actually read about the news I read the Indo or the Times, but for footie news I do like to read the Sunday tabloids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

wouldn't wipe my arse with the sunday world

iregk wrote: »

So you'd rather go round with crap stains on your pants than use the Sunday World?

Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Its a publicity stunt / advertising- whether its good or bad, its got people talking about the paper. They made headlines in india for gods sake!!:rolleyes:
    They have got people taling about it on the Net...so i dunno who are the bigger fools, us discussing it? or Geardline herself!

They offerred to raffle the signed poster and donate to UNICEF, which may be the only good thing about it.

I see it as a bit of fun, im sure he doesnt take it to seriously! The country will get over it eventually.

and can that still be used as legal tender?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

bw wrote: »
    ah no, did that actually go ahead?
    Seemingly it went ahead in a manner of speaking. This is the funniest/saddist thing I have read in a long while
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/1122/breaking7.htm

So you'd rather go round with crap stains on your pants than use the Sunday World?

Really?

No I use toilet paper like most other civilized people.

Jesus man what world are you living in if its either the sunday world or nothing to wipe your arse. Madness I tell ya.

Jesus man what world are you living in if its either the sunday world or nothing to wipe your arse. Madness I tell ya.

oh well la de da mr. bigshot. look at you with your rich man stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

I wish I went to that protest.

Just to set up a big screen showing all the times Ireland have got away with handballs, dives etc. and benefited by scoring a goal. Do they want to reimburse the teams that lost out to us because of them? Do they want the Irish players that commited the offence to retire? Ridiculous carry on.

It's the game.

It's annoying that people can get away with cheating. But this lot are taking it way too far and making themselves look like fools.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

The Sunday World are a disgrace doing this, hounding a man in his own home. Makes a laughing stock out of Irish people, and aswell as that they don't care and are only doing it for a publicity stunt.

Pitiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

and can that still be used as legal tender?!

Legal tender? The sunday world is worth money now?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

what a classy paper - even if the goal had been disallowed it would only have been level - at this stage it seams to be only the bandwagonary leprechaun ole ole brigade still protesting - everyone wanted ireland at the world cup but this is pathetic - whers Pat Kenny ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

They should have sent Amanda Brunker She could have suffocated Henry to death with her giant boobies

baalthor wrote: »
    They should have sent Amanda Brunker She could have suffocated Henry to death with her giant boobies

muppet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

what people seem to be forgetting about all this is that henry merely robbed us of a penalty shoot out against france to go to the world cup. its not like were in a qualifying position before henry scored. now hand on heart, how many of us think we would be favourites for that penalty shoot out anyway?? especially in france, they have the technically better players and better penalty takers over the five takers than us i would imagine. what if the french agreed to a penalty shoot out against us to see who goes to the world cup?? ooh ooh or maybe rock paper scissors between henry and keane!! think we have a better chance in the second suggestion..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

mormank wrote: »
    what people seem to be forgetting about all this is that henry merely robbed us of a penalty shoot out against france to go to the world cup. its not like were in a qualifying position before henry scored. now hand on heart, how many of us think we would be favourites for that penalty shoot out anyway?? especially in france, they have the technically better players and better penalty takers over the five takers than us i would imagine. what if the french agreed to a penalty shoot out against us to see who goes to the world cup?? ooh ooh or maybe rock paper scissors between henry and keane!! think we have a better chance in the second suggestion..

guess we never know,maybe we migh have or maybe we migh not
    but doesnt excuse what happened by henry ,does it
    and even if there was or not as we know it a replay or he got a yellow card

there should be a better system so if a player does that again or other,the player should be punished with a fine ,then they will may think before they do it again. 2 wrongs dont make it right

players get away with too much,like play acting etc, but fifa dont want too , they just give excuses ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

SlickRic wrote: »
    talk about finding a way to get us to sympathise with Thierry Henry.

well done Sunday World.

tbh, if i was him, i would have taken a ball out of the boot of my car, and hand-passed it, GAA style, straight at her face.
    Exactly. What a load of idiots. They'll end up swinging the favour behind him.

Why don't they hound a TD, try to get some answers why our country is completely ****ed.

I'm so glad Henry made her look like a fool. If I was him, I'd have stopped, rolled my eyes, smiled, shook my head, and walk straight past her into the house. If she stayed, I tell her to get the **** off my property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

SlickRic wrote: »
    that's the single most pathetic thing i've ever seen.

this post was never worthy of post of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

astrofool wrote: »
    We're worse than the English at this type of carry on.

I wonder how many of these tabloids are actually Irish?

Must work in the public sector :P

See anyone can do it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Jesus what a pathetic publicity stunt.

To quote Father Ted:"Once again Dougal, you've made me look like a complete fool in front of real people."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    this post was never worthy of post of the day.

Neither was this.

Nobody saw that one coming

Neither was this.

Nobody saw that one coming
    i don't see my post becoming post of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    i don't see my post becoming post of the day.

Not yet Sheepy, there is still hope.

Not yet Sheepy, there is still hope.
    maybe tomorrow.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

The people who say this was cringe worthy are 100% correct. I am still bitter, disappointed and angry but to do this at his own home is beyond recall. The next time this dozy bint does something stupid we should all gather around outside her home to remind her what it is like. There are ways to protest and express disgust but this is not one of them and is merely a cheap and unsuccessful attempt to manipulate it's readers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Awful bandwagoning sh1te being honest. Reckon confronting the likes of Blatter with a load of accusations would be more legit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Mrmoe wrote: »
    The people who say this was cringe worthy are 100% correct. I am still bitter, disappointed and angry but to do this at his own home is beyond recall. The next time this dozy bint does something stupid we should all gather around outside her home to remind her what it is like. There are ways to protest and express disgust but this is not one of them and is merely a cheap and unsuccessful attempt to manipulate it's readers.
    Yep am hoping no one bought it but I doubt it. I am sure if Henry felt a little bit bad for doing it, he couldn't care less now the way people have gone on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

In fairness to him, he is getting an awful time of it. I think it's time people laid off him for a bit, I'm beginning to feel a bit sorry for him!

thebman wrote: »
    Must work in the public sector :P

See anyone can do it :D

Mitch must work in the public sector. Me I'm a lowly private sector boy and toilet roll is cheaper than the sunday world. He's wiping his arse with it. He probably lights his cigs with a €20 note as well! I blame him on the current recession...

• Advertisement

Mitch must work in the public sector. Me I'm a lowly private sector boy and toilet roll is cheaper than the sunday world. He's wiping his arse with it. He probably lights his cigs with a €20 note as well! I blame him on the current recession...

Me? I'm private sector. Don't see me going on strike today! In fact, I was in work 40minutes early today cause that is what a customer needed from me. or so i thought. turns out that isn't the case and i wasted some good sleep time. oh well.

I generally think that a Curtis article is ripe for arse wiping, can you think of a better use for it?

Me? I'm private sector. Don't see me going on strike today! In fact, I was in work 40minutes early today cause that is what a customer needed from me. or so i thought. turns out that isn't the case and i wasted some good sleep time. oh well.

I was in work 15 mins earlier today as well. Thank you public sector for striking and clearing up the roads somewhat for the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I was in work 15 mins earlier today as well. Thank you public sector for striking and clearing up the roads somewhat for the rest of us.

That was awesome. Would have been late today without it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

cheat_1.jpg

cheat_3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

lizt wrote: »
    . I think it's time people laid off him

+1

OPENROAD wrote: »
    +1

Why? Nothing has changed - why should people change their attitude towards him now?

Why? Nothing has changed - why should people change their attitude towards him now?

To be fair I'm been biassed :)

But we could all draw up a list of players who probably deserve more stick than Thierry is been given, players who have behaved worse imo.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    To be fair I'm been biassed :)

But we could all draw up a list of players who probably deserve more stick than Thierry is been given, players who have behaved worse imo.

show me a list of those, who also built their reputation on sporting fair play and being a model pro who all kids should look up to, and i'm with you.

Henry used the rep he built, and now that people see him as a cheat no better than anyone else, that same rep is going to take him down.

show me a list of those, who also built their reputation on sporting fair play and being a model pro who all kids should look up to, and i'm with you.

Henry used the rep he built, and now that people see him as a cheat no better than anyone else, that same rep is going to take him down.

You and I both know we could list off a whole load of players who have have not played fair but no one has branded a cheat.

Sure people for years have been laughing at the Maradona goal against England, where was the fair play there??? why did people think that was hilarious. I can understand why Iredland supporters are mad at Thierry, if a player did the same against Arsenal, I would probably feel the same. But he is the greatest player to have put on an Arsenal shirt, and having been very lucky to see him play in the flesh regularly, I will always remember him for what he was, a stunning player and who gave me many hours of enjoyment.

What team do you support?

• Advertisement
Advertisement