Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

archiving video - which file format is best?

• 22-11-2009 5:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

I have transferred some tv recordings from PVR to PC for archiving.

The original .ts files are about 2GB per hour so I would like to rip them to a smaller more storable size for playback on TV via usb, CD or DVD.

I'm confused about which file format to opt for. .AVI, .MP4 or something else? What resolution, bitrate and framerate should I select ?

I'd be happy with a formats that allowed a typical 90 minute movie to fit on a cd (700/750 mb or so). My first few attempts are giving me files that are too big.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Trevord wrote: »

I'm confused about which file format to opt for. .AVI, .MP4 or something else? What resolution, bitrate and framerate should I select ?

I would use the x264 video encoder, AAC audio, and either the MP4 or MKV container. Resolution and framerate the same as your source ideally.

Download Handbrake and experiment with the various presets. Personally I normally use Contant Quality encoding rather than just picking a bitrate out of the sky. 60-61% is what I normally use for DVD backups. Although of course, if you want to fit it on a CD then you'll just have to use whatever bitrate allows you to do that (use a 2-pass encode in that scenario).

Of course, it all depends on how you plan on playing the file back. If you are going to be playing them back on a DVD player, you'll be severely limited in terms of the formats you can use.

Advertisement