Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Canals Cycle Route

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Tried it for the first time the other day (thought I'd extend the commute home because it was nice) and to be honest I really didn't like it.

It was packed full of walkers, joggers and dogs, which I kind of expected given what a nice evening it was, but the amount of people powerwalking in pairs taking up both sides was ridiculous. For a seemingly straightforward lane it was a bit confusing, I reached one point where I wasn't sure where to go next, until I realised you're expected to go up onto the footpath and through a small gap which is effectively a blind corner, with pedestrians and cyclists coming and going in both directions... every couple of hundred feet you end up stopping and waiting for the cyclist/pedestrian lights to appear, a couple of minutes each time really adds up. As do the crowds of pedestrians and cyclists, and eventually it just turns into a big messy cluster. Found it very jarring when I eventually had to rejoin the road to go left as well.

I wouldn't be a particularly speedy or dedicated cyclist, just your average commuter. It just seems useless really. I'd much rather be on the road. Maybe it's different on an average, cloudy day but even just the traffic lights every few hundred feet and lack of space just made the cycle plain irritating! I'd hate to have to cycle along it every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭pcomer

Have to agree - great opportunity wasted. You are quicker (and less frustrated) using the road. As long as cycle lanes are designed and built by non cyclists we can expect to see more of these inept attempts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I actually enjoy the new cycle path.

For months I have been ignoring it and using the road-side cycle lane on the other side of the Canal. But the new one is a lot more stress-free as it cuts out all the hazardous junctions.

Advertisement