Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

merc c180 broken into

• 22-11-2009 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭

My dad's merc c180 2008 was broken into.
    They smashed the small triangle window in the rear and opened the door.

The alarm never went off.
    Is that normal, surely the alarm would have gone off when they smashed the window or opened the door??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Very unusual, have you tested yourself it by arming the alarm and opening the door? Is it an MB unit or an aftermarket job, is so what brand is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

I'm fairly sure and 08 c180 would come with a factory fitted alarm as they don't use keys anymore, you just put the fob into the ignition and it has the open close controls on it (which i'm sure alarm the car too), so you shouldn't be able to open the door to test it if the alarm is on.

Perhaps it's some kind of safety function for if a kid gets locked in the car that opening it from the inside turns off the alarm ??

Might be worth checking with the garage tomorrow as the repair might be covered under warranty if the alarm didn't function correctly.
    Also get your dad to give Mercedes Ireland a call and try to make a fuss out of it with them...might get some joy there as they have more power to make decisions than dealers on repairs and costs etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

Manufacturer installed alarm systems don't usually have shock sensors on them anymore to avoid bothersome false alarms, we had a few cars over the years with manu factory alarms and you could beat the car with your foot all day and they would not make a squeek, open the door and it's another story.
    I don't understand why anyone would want an alarm with no shock/vibration sensors. My Volvo factory alarm didn't have one so I fitted an aftermarket one. If someone whacked against my car during the night I would like the vibration sensor to tell me about it before they have a second go and actually break the glass.

Maybe your dads alarm was disabled at some point and never re enabled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Would have thought an 08 Cclass would have deadlocks, no? (although they would have had to be engaged)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭kenbrady

Went over to have a look. I don't think he has an alarm on it.
    Locked the car stuck my hand in the window and opened the door no alarm went off. No deadlocks on the car.

It's the 2008 C180 Advantagard spec, anyone know if alarm comes as standard on that model ? Any visible signs/test to see if car has an alarm ?

Done between 16:00 & 17:00, car on the driveway in Castleknock, they took the coppers out of the ashtray, nothing else in the car, didn't take license (probably didn't want any evidence in case they got pulled over by gards).

Thanks for replies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

kenbrady wrote: »
    Went over to have a look. I don't think he has an alarm on it.
    Locked the car stuck my hand in the window and opened the door no alarm went off. No deadlocks on th

Did you hit the lock button twice? (usually the way to ativate deadlocks)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Is there a motion sensor in the car? Usually located on the A pillars of near the central reading light. Even if the car does not have motion sensors the open door should have triggered the interior light and alarm. I suspect the car might not have an alarm. If it does not be sure that your Dad updates this info with your insurer as it is a great get out clause for them if you ever have to claim, and they were told the car is alarmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

Is there any little flashing red lights on the dash or door sills after you have locked the car?
    Look in the users manual aswell if he still has it and flick through it for "alarm operation" I would be surprised if that car was not supplied with some sort of ant theft system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

From the Mercedes webiste an alarm is an optional extra on the C-class. Hard to believe on a car that starts at 39 grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭kenbrady

There was no alarm on the car.

I though it was a bit strange that they broken into the car. Nothing in it and nothing visible or anything that even looked like stealing. Plus it was during the day and a lot of people would walk by the house and car was on the drive which is only short.
    So I though it was a risky, strange occurance, give there was no obvious signs of a pay back.

Talking to a couple of Gards I know down the pub last night. They said what they have seen is; People leave a spare house key in the ashtray, glove box.
    Thieves break window of car, get spare key, go into house grab car keys and widescreen tv, load it into back of car and are gone before the house alarm even activates.

• Advertisement
Advertisement