Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line Stats: Able for 3Mb or not?

• 22-11-2009 6:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭

Okay this is concerning my parents connection. They're currently able to avail of 1Mb from Eircom, but they're wondering if they can actually get the 3Mb or not. I've told them to hold off because one of the things they want to use fairly competently is skype.

I seem to be getting some conflicting information about the speeds the line is able to take.

These are the stats:
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1024 128  
    SN Margin (dB) 14.90 19.00  
    Line Attenuation (dB) 49.50 28.00

So is it able for 3Mb or not? I haven't been able to find a definitive answer yet.

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It is able for 2 point something rather than 1 point something , your choice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It is able for 2 point something rather than 1 point something , your choice :)
    That was what I thought too, one particular site was telling me it was able for almost 5, but then again it didn't factor in the SNR.

Anyway is it actually possible to have Eircom raise the max speed to 2Mb? My understanding was that it was either 1/3/7 meg, nothing inbetween.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You get 3 and if it is unstable they can throttle it in units of 1mbit for stability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    You get 3 and if it is unstable they can throttle it in units of 1mbit for stability
    Ah okay. Thanks for the info! :)

Advertisement