Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wet Floor Insulation - Is it damaged

• 22-11-2009 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all,
    I require some urgent advice on floor insulation.

The radon barrier was put in last week making and the floor insulation was put on top of it, we are using 150mm xtratherm polyiso. Unforunately, and contrary my instruction, this was not covered and then we had a couple of days of crazy rain. Can someone tell my if this damages the insulation and it's effectivness.

As the radon was already in the floor is effectively a swimming pool and I am worried about pouring concrete on top of this now. Will the insulation have soaked up the water and will it need to be replaced.

The heating company are coming tomorrow AM to put in underfloor so if this insulation (3k worth) needs to be replaced I will need to act fast.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The insulation should be fine but you would need to get rid of all the rainwater before pouring the concrete. Give Xtratherm a ring first thing in the morning and ask to speak to one of their technical reps and take advice from them.

Edited :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭stephentbb2000

The insulation should be fine but for peace of mind ring kingspan first thing tomorrow.
    Customer Services
    Tel: ++353 (0) 42 979 5000
    Fax: ++353 (0) 42 975 4299
    e-mail: commercial.ie@insulation.kingspan.com
    Technical Services
    Tel: ++353 (0) 42 975 4297
    Fax: ++353 (0) 42 975 4299
    e-mail: techline.ie@insulation.kingspan.com

Also head to your local tool hire and try and get your hands on a submersible pump to get rid of the pools of water if there is allot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

..... don't tell them you used xtratherm though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 mossysheehan

Innishouse wrote: »
    The radon barrier was put in last week making and the floor insulation was put on top of it, we are using 150mm xtratherm polyiso.

Probably better ringing xtratherm... Should be no problem. The concrete will act as a sponge and pull away any water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭stephentbb2000

Ha Ha, yeah my mistake. Maybe ringing Xtratherm would be a better option.
    00353 (0) 4690 66000

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Innishouse

Thanks for all the helpful responses, they are really putting my mind at ease. I'll call a technical rep in the morning to make sure.

The contractor was telling me it was fine as well but his motivation is to get the job finished. Given the detailing etc I'm insisting on imagine the thought of a fundemental component not working as effectively as it should have.

I think the obsession with air tightness, U value, heating etc is making me paranoid.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Fix Irl inc

Its fine - I would be more worried about it blowing away on a night like that. Knock out block to get water away if stuck

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭BERmad

Innishouse wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I require some urgent advice on floor insulation.

The radon barrier was put in last week making and the floor insulation was put on top of it, we are using 150mm xtratherm polyiso. Unforunately, and contrary my instruction, this was not covered and then we had a couple of days of crazy rain. Can someone tell my if this damages the insulation and it's effectivness.

As the radon was already in the floor is effectively a swimming pool and I am worried about pouring concrete on top of this now. Will the insulation have soaked up the water and will it need to be replaced.

The heating company are coming tomorrow AM to put in underfloor so if this insulation (3k worth) needs to be replaced I will need to act fast.

I would be more woried about the strength of your concrete. If there is a lot of water there it will weaken the strength of your concrete considerably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

You should not be placing UFH + screed if the building is not watertight .

Tell the builder to , at his own expense , take up and safely store your insulation in a dry place to be replaced only after roof is on , felted + battened and all windows are in .

Your screed should go in only after heavy works are completed - otherwise it's surface WILL be mechanically damaged

Advertisement