Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

best soccer pundit

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Does anyone know if any firm run a market on how many times Paul Merson says 'no question about it' in a broadcast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

Souness and Dunphy? I hope most of them votes are just as a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

Benitez has bought some dodgy players but would be more critical of fact to let Finnan go

Because Arbeloa and Glen Johnson are better players.

fkt wrote: »
    Souness and Dunphy? I hope most of them votes are just as a joke.

Souness is a great pundit.

Dunphy is great entertainment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

No Roddy Collins? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Aidric wrote: »
    Does anyone know if any firm run a market on how many times Paul Merson says 'no question about it' in a broadcast?

I dunno but it has the makings of a new drinking game.

Sky+ it and watch it during the night when nothing else is on. You would be pretty gazeboed by half time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Souness for me. Just waiting for the day he gives Dunphy a Glasgow kiss, "loive" on air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭seany2929

I'd definitely go with Graeme Souness,eventhough i despise him as a person he's a fairly spot on pundit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

No Roddy Collins? :rolleyes:
    Wouldn't think so after last monday

okay reviving this thread after some dodgy punditry from Dunphy last night. Bill asked him about a piece Hugh McIlvaney had penned about wenger and Dunphy pratically bumped the discussion by going on about Arsenals budget and then making a series of sweeping statements that managed to annoy almost every poster here last night. Felt like picking up the tv at one stage and giving it a good shake. Anyway question is it time to break up that Giles Dunphy partnership?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

The mind boggles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I really don't see the need to bump this old thread when we have a perfectly good discussion going on in the other thread about this exact matter...

Oh wait, it's your own thread :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

im actually in shock at how many votes hanson and especially sounness got:eek:

i remember some arsenal game a while ago where sounness actually commented on an arsenal player he thought was still at the club but wasnt,and he was saying song was a striker and denilson a central defender,he is clueless i cant emphasize this enough.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I really don't see the need to bump this old thread when we have a perfectly good discussion going on in the other thread about this exact matter...

Oh wait, it's your own thread :rolleyes:
    Well it pertains to punditry. So why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

okay reviving this thread after some dodgy punditry from Dunphy last night. Bill asked him about a piece Hugh McIlvaney had penned about wenger and Dunphy pratically bumped the discussion by going on about Arsenals budget and then making a series of sweeping statements that managed to annoy almost every poster here last night. Felt like picking up the tv at one stage and giving it a good shake. Anyway question is it time to break up that Giles Dunphy partnership?
    God no. I'd redirect the license fee into Futurama style "headinjar" technology research. The thought of the likes of Houghton, Cunningham or Whelan taking over is incredibly depressing.

my argument is that Dunphy can be very messy at times. There was Wenger and his John Cleese walk jibe that put Brady's nose out of joint last year, there was his "Ive managed to stick around for 63 years" comment with Sounness. In both cases was that serious punditry?
    Bill brought up McIlvanney's article last night and Dunphy switched the emphasis totally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

In both cases was that serious punditry?

No, but Eamo isn't there for serious punditry, he's there to wind people up, which he is catastrophically good at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Frisbee wrote: »
    No, but Eamo isn't there for serious punditry, he's there to wind people up, which he is catastrophically good at.
    This. If you ever hear Dunphy on the radio (Marian Finucane show, Sport at 7 etc) when he's asked for analysis it's usually fairly sensible commentary. It's really only on TV and his paper articles that he plays up the sensationalist stuff. He's Ireland greatest windup merchant tbf :D

KerranJast wrote: »
    This. If you ever hear Dunphy on the radio (Marian Finucane show, Sport at 7 etc) when he's asked for analysis it's usually fairly sensible commentary. It's really only on TV and his paper articles that he plays up the sensationalist stuff. He's Ireland greatest windup merchant tbf :D
    One of his comments.Chelsea and United are an ageing team. its merely a matter of replacing the players. Liverpool managed to replace their players continually through the eighties so dont see that being an issue.
    He made some sweeping statements about Pool that went unchecked. Wasn't happy with him overall last night.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

You know what SOTS, write a letter to RTÉ about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Champagne Charlie.

I love watching the Soccer Saturday lads on sky.

They know what they are talking about and have a good understanding of the modern game.

Unlike the Rte panel and Giles in particular, when all he did for 3 years was moan about Ronaldo not tracking back, when m 15 year old sister understood it was so he could quickly counter attack.

RTE panel make me cringe, and make me want to apply for their job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

bvc, Dunphy is most certainly not there for "serious punditry", he is there for his trollerific ways, people love it, and it generates pages and pages of discussion.

There is no way on god's green earth that RTE are going to break up their golden ticket.

they do the same with other sports too.

George Hook with the rugby, and that other mulligan on the gah, the fella with the shrill voice.

It works for them, people actually enjoy the shows for the outlandish statements these people make time and time again.

They offer something different to Sky's polished to banality say nothing bad about anyone shows. Yes, Sky have the HD and a million camear angles and super slo-mo and indepth analysis of the amount of times the ballboy touched thye ball, but RTE is fun.

It's funny for United fans when Dunphy or Whelan slag off Rafa or Lucas, it was funny for Liverpool fans when he called Ronaldo a puffball.

Dunphy is paid to take extreme views, it's how he's been around for so long and he does it well. He doesn't care how many people he pisses off, as long an people are making threads and bumping them. Keeping his name in the light.

How many youtube videos are there of their punditry? How many people switch to RTE for the analysis, but then switch to ITV/SKY for the actual match coverage.

CHD wrote: »
    You know what SOTS, write a letter to RTÉ about it!
    they have a thing called e mail now CHD. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Des wrote: »
    How many people switch to RTE for the analysis, but then switch to ITV/SKY for the actual match coverage.

Me, you can't beat it when they get into a good all out argument.

Bill orchestrating it, Dunphy winding up Brady/Souness and Giles getting the hump when someone doesn't agree with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I picked them all because I could.:cool:

My favourites are Dunphy and Souness, for the entertainment. The best is Ronnie Whelan, IMO.

Gillette Soccer Saturday pundits are good as well.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Dunphy, Giles and Brady cannot be beaten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Ian Wright.

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭crushproof

Where's the GAA's Assimilation Officer????

Beats them all I say, especially those from across the water

I enjoy rte's coverage as a rule but it was messy last night. Just feel Eamon is taking too many liberties at moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

I hope Chippy is drafted back in as soon as his contract with Ireland finishes. Then give Ronnie the boot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I like Lee Dixon. He always talks sense. Unlike Dunphy, he doesn't spout attention seeking crap either, just for the sake of being controversial. He simply gives intelligent, insightful and practical punditry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

Pat Dolan

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Dixon, Keown, Richardson, Hansen, Dunphy, Brady and Souness are my favourite TV pundits, for a variety of reasons.

The RTE boys for the entertainment value - Souness can be included in that, but I like the cut of his jib. Hansen for similar... I think he's cultivated quite a defined TV persona, he's almost Dunphyesque to Arsenal fans at this stage. I like his analysis at times too though. Dixon and Keown are just generally very astute and watchable. I don't know if Richardson does TV work anymore, but his work on football italia was terrific. Loved the segment when he'd sit at a cafe outside a stadium and go through the papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Joyce Country

Neil lennon on TV3 the last night was good

Advertisement