Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

West <-> East trains & buses due to floods

Options
  • 22-11-2009 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi,
    Does anyone know what's going on with the roads which ones are open/closed going to dublin ???
    I have to be in dublin tomo morning at 10am (lucan) and i'm driving from salthill does anyone know what the journey time is like due to the floods ??
    AA roadwatch doesnt seem to have any info regarding this, it normally takes just over 2 hours.

I'm clueless as to what to expect so if anyone knows anything....

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Hi,
    Does anyone know what's going on with the roads which ones are open/closed going to dublin ???
    I have to be in dublin tomo morning at 10am (lucan) and i'm driving from salthill does anyone know what the journey time is like due to the floods ??
    AA roadwatch doesnt seem to have any info regarding this, it normally takes just over 2 hours.

I'm clueless as to what to expect so if anyone knows anything....

Thanks.

You will have to go via the new motorway as far as Loughrea (strict 50kmh limit as its a single carriageway open and shared with cars coming opposite direction), then take N6 to Ballinasloe then get onto M6 and from there it should be normal time to Dublin, but it will take a lot longer to get that far. I'd allow an extra 90 mins minimum anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Well the only difference is you're facing a one lane motorway with a 50km speed limit as far as Loughrea and the 5 miles around Ballinsloe. It really depends if you're stuck behind others or not (as you can't overtake) but I think it should be no more than 30 minutes added on really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Just to warn you too, the bypass around Ballinasloe has slow enough moving tailbacks today so you might want to leave extra time for that too. A friend of mine made it from Salthill to Ballinasloe in 1hr 15 minutes yesterday, but I do think Monday morning may be a bit busier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I'm sitting in traffic on the ballinasloe bypass at the minute. Took me about 1hr 20 from the city to ballinasloe but have been pretty much at a standstill on the bypass for thr last 25 mins. With a long snake of brake lights in front of me I think I'll be here a while. The previous advice of allowing an extra 90mins for your journey sounds prudent to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

but I think it should be no more than 30 minutes added on really.

The Loughrea - Galway bit of it added nearly 30 mins to my usual journey(west) yesterday so I'd add a good bit more.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

The Loughrea - Galway bit of it added nearly 30 mins to my usual journey(west) yesterday so I'd add a good bit more.

I was on it today, i'd have said 20-30 all right (20 out in light traffic, 30 back in heavy), you're speed is capped but there were no queues or anything like that so i'd have said no more than 30 for that stretch.

As for Ballinasloe, i can't comment, but 25 mins queuing for that small stretch seems much longer than it should be! Is there only one lane open for both directions or something? Seeing as it's so much shorter I'd have though no longer than 10 mins... my bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

As for Ballinasloe, i can't comment, but 25 mins queuing for that small stretch seems much longer than it should be! Is there only one lane open for both directions or something? Seeing as it's so much shorter I'd have though no longer than 10 mins... my bad.

There is only a single lane open at the Ballinsloe by-pass with a stop-go system being used. That's where the real delay is.

In the end my trip Galway city to Dublin city was delayed by about 35mins. Once you're passed Ballinasloe you can make up a lot of time on the motorway. Given the traffic in the morning I'd suggest the OP budget for a fair bit more than 35mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭charleville

hmmm.... thanks guys some valuable info there, seems balinasloe is gonna be the worst hit by the sounds of it !!!
    i'll leave at 6:30 and hope for the best should miss most of the worst traffic leaving at that hour i hope....

as long as miss (or mr) daisy is'nt driving in front of me on the new n-6 strech :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I drove there today, worst bit was getting from Lackagh to the new M6 at the Galway Clinic, from start, almost 2 hours to get to Ballinasloe, plain sailing after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Meemars

galwayrush wrote: »
    I drove there today, worst bit was getting from Lackagh to the new M6 at the Galway Clinic, from start, almost 2 hours to get to Ballinasloe, plain sailing after that.

Drove Galway-Dublin on Saturday morning, and Dublin-Galway on Sunday afternoon. Took about 3 hours door to door each time - pretty good, and no speeding, I promise! The fact they opened the motorway means you bypass all disaster, only delay was near or around Ballinasloe, where they have single lane traffic in places, but nothing serious. Motorway rocks, it's the other routes that are in trouble, but at least we have one way in and out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

From another thread
    KC61 wrote: »
    From www.irishrail.ie

Update 16.45hrs 23rd November - Galway to Athlone line reopens by Corporate Communications

UPDATE 23rd November 2009, 16.45hrs

The Galway to Athlone rail line has reopened following earlier flooding. Full services have resumed between Galway and Dublin.

Iarnród Éireann apologises for the inconvenience caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

anyone know how long the citylink buses are taking from galway to dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

Got citylink last Fri at 5:30pm. Got to Dub at 10pm.
    We had to go via Gort as M6 was not open.
    Should be quicker these days..

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

anyone know how long the citylink buses are taking from galway to dublin?

was onto them there, add 1.5 hours to journey time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

are trains running in and out of galway or is woodlawn still a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

The Galway - Dublin Train was running today albeit slower than usual. It took 4 hours to get to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

The Galway - Dublin Train was running today albeit slower than usual. It took 4 hours to get to Dublin.

there was nothing on the iarnrod eireann website, which is why i am in the dark. will be travelling in two days. will be an interesting experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

Got train to Dub at 7.15 am - got up at 10am. Only 15 mins later than usual.

Got train down at 4.50 - down at 7.15 ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

The 9.15am train from Galway didn't arrive in to Heuston Station until 1.30pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I was speaking to them today, and they said that The Galway - Dublin route had returned to normal.

I'm grabbing the 9.15 tomorrow, so will let ya'll know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It will beat the crap out of any car for the next while now the motorway is closed again west of loughrea .

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

As per title. Traveling Friday, need to be there for 15:00, any tips on best route to take, time to allow etc?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

The Train would make the most sense seeing as all of the south and east are being funnelled through Craughwell :(

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

Times don't seem to suit, though could get to Portarlington I suppose, wonder if it's far in a cab from Portarlington to Monasterevin? Any ideas?

can you get to Tullamore ?? Galway is severely lacking in roads at present :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

It's about 10/15 minutes from Portarlington to Monasterevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Train only ran about 15-30 minutes late today. We were stuck in Athenry for 20 minutes on the way up, so that probably explains that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 mikebites

Yesterday Bus Eirann took 3 hrs (from 5 pm to 8 pm) to reach Shannon airport from Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭roverjoyce

buses form galway to limerick,ennis shannon and cork not diverting via Loughrea any more going straight up to gort.
    There is some delays and local diversions on that road at labane kiltartan and gort but will save a lot of time

Advertisement