Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just about to order

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

id get a 5770 before id get a 4890, overclocked there wouldnt be much difference in performance, its DX11 and you could add another later if you needed more performance down the road. Otherwise a 5850 is better but more expensive, they should be in stock in the next 2 weeks.

Also id add an Xfi xtreme gamer or similar xfi card for gaming

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

If you are looking for a quiet 4890- go with the Sapphire Vapor-X model, have one myself and it is significantly quieter than you can expect. Goolge can help you find some reviews that will confirm that it is indeed quiter than the standard 4890's.

The only issue with the 5xxx cars is availability- scarce on the ground (and hence inflated prices).

Also, I'm not sure your mobo and RAM would give you much overclocking headroom (if you are that way inclined).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I'd also drop the haf932/922. I ordered one a few weeks ago and sent it back right away, they are horribly cheaply put together. It's basicially a big budget lump of plastic. Now i've got to wait untill my 800D comes into stock :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

5770 about €20 cheaper on ebuyer than komplett.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/175731

is there a need for a sound card ??

is my mb - msi ok ??

just saw newer comments - won't be overclocking really.

what alternative cases are there - that have good cable room, airflow and look good ?

this is the cheapest sapphire I can find - http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=479564

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

I would actually get a Gigabyte mobo. For the LGA 1156 socket they are the best quality atm.

And everything is cheaper on ebuyer than komplett ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Anti wrote: »
    I'd also drop the haf932/922. I ordered one a few weeks ago and sent it back right away, they are horribly cheaply put together. It's basicially a big budget lump of plastic. Now i've got to wait untill my 800D comes into stock :(

:eek: blasphemy sir!

They are actually a big lump of steel. The plastic is only on the front. :p They look cheap all right, but their airflow, modding potential, tooless drive installation and cable management potential are class leading. And their build quality internally is actually pretty good, despite what Anti suggests!

Anti, you basically paid another €130 for a brushed aluminium front and hot swappable drives. The HAF's blows the 800D out of the water in almost every other regard.

Anti has 2x5870s and is gonna get 2x5970s IIRC. €130 for brushed alluminium means nothing to this madman :D

Pfffftttt, i look down on your scrubnub plastic front case. Yes it has good airflow, but enjoy ripping your fingers to bits while working inside it. Yes the 800D is alot more expensive, but look at the features it has. And i dont need to get the inside of the case sprayed black like with the Haf's. Its not a bad case in terms of performance, but it just reaks of the pound shop to me :(

@leman. Ive been looking into getting the 5970's but i cant justify spending 1400€ on 2 of them at the moment, not this close to xmas. And it looks like ill have ot RMA one of the 5870's either the fan aint working, or the whole backplate/hsf has someone come loose as its sitting at 89c on idle atm :o

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Listen to Leman. Nothing has detonated on him so he's doing something right! :D

And while that HD5770 is decent value (cheapest one I've ever seen. By a big margin!) it'll only keep in touch with the HD4890 on games with low memory bandwidth requirements. If the game tends towards very intensive "shader shuffling" the crippled memory bus on the HD5770 will leave it miles behind the HD4890 (and possibly HD4870!) no matter how high you OC the GPU; the only way to relieve the stress in such a "problem game" is to pray that you can OC the GDDR5 even further and its probably already pretty high-strung - most modules on the market are 5GHz and the HD5770 has them at 4.8GHz at stock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Pfffftttt, i look down on your scrubnub plastic front case.

Scrubnub? SCRUBNUB? How dare you sir... If I knew what that rich man's high brow la-de-dah attempt at an insult meant i'd have a perfectly good comeback! But no, you even had to ruin that :mad:
    but enjoy ripping your fingers to bits while working inside it.

I know the finish on the steel isn't fantastic in places, but mine certainly wouldn't cut fingers (and hasn't thankfully). You must have had some bad luck then with CM quality control there :(
    @leman. Ive been looking into getting the 5970's but i cant justify spending 1400€ on 2 of them at the moment, not this close to xmas. And it looks like ill have ot RMA one of the 5870's either the fan aint working, or the whole backplate/hsf has someone come loose as its sitting at 89c on idle atm

Hmmm, a lot of these new 5xxx seem to be having fan problems. Seen a number of people on other forums report having to have RMA'd their brand new 5970 after the fans came loose. Possibly a design fault? ATI seemed to have rushed them to market for the season that's in it.

• Advertisement

@leman. Ive been looking into getting the 5970's but i cant justify spending 1400€ on 2 of them at the moment, not this close to xmas. And it looks like ill have ot RMA one of the 5870's either the fan aint working, or the whole backplate/hsf has someone come loose as its sitting at 89c on idle atm :o

Aww man that sucks. Have you tried the oven bake trick? :pac::pac::pac:

See if you can diy fix it before RMAing it :D
    Solitaire wrote: »
    Listen to Leman. Nothing has detonated on him so he's doing something right! :D
    Hell yeah! I am actually starting to think that it is because of my heavy heatsink and the fact I just bolted it down. The slightly higher pressure is ensuring the pins make contact :D
    And while that HD5770 is decent value (cheapest one I've ever seen. By a big margin!) it'll only keep in touch with the HD4890 on games with low memory bandwidth requirements. If the game tends towards very intensive "shader shuffling" the crippled memory bus on the HD5770 will leave it miles behind the HD4890 (and possibly HD4870!) no matter how high you OC the GPU; the only way to relieve the stress in such a "problem game" is to pray that you can OC the GDDR5 even further and its probably already pretty high-strung - most modules on the market are 5GHz and the HD5770 has them at 4.8GHz at stock!

Yeah, the crippled memory bus is one of the reasons I am not too keen to get the 57xx. I'm more than likely gonna just pick up a cheap 9600 until the 5850s a) Drop in price and b) stop being rarer than hens teeth.

I dunno if it woudl survive to be honest, ive a feeling the plastic would melt :pac:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

thanks folks - appreciate it

a lot to take in - when I was thinking I had is sussed :rolleyes:

will review all of above and take it from there -any other opinions -keep em coming

thx

k

Advertisement