Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Litter training?

Options
  • 22-11-2009 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

I got two little kittens a couple of months ago from the shelter.When they were there they used a litter tray and same when they arrived home. But for the last two weeks or so one of them has stopped using it. She only seems to do her business on the rugs/anything left on the ground. I have been following her around and putting her in the tray and she just jumps out and waits till I have my back turned. I have tried out a couple of different brands of litter including the wood pellets and nothing seems to work, even when I put her outside she waits until shes back in! I'm hoping someone has some amazing litter training tips :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

when you cat who's going outside the litter box is going, is it a little bit or a normal sized pee?

If it's a full sized pee, clean everywhere first with white vinegar, then with your normal detergent. How often do you both scoop out and fully disinfect the litter box? It should be scooped out a minimum of daily, and depending on the type of litter you use, should be fully disfected every 4 days to every 2-3 weeks. I find clumping litters keep the box fresher and sometimes you can go 2+ weeks without a full disinfect. However, if I use Lidl or Tesco litter, I'd have to do a full disinfect every 3-4 days.

If it's just a little, has it been neutered? It could be trying to mark and perhaps neutering might fix it. If this isn't the issue, it could be a urinary tract infection which it may need antibotics for. Keep an eye on your cat and if it doesn't improve, bring it to a vet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Thanks for that, the litter tray is kept empty, I didn't think girls "marked"? They are getting neutered in the next couple of weeks, do you think that is the reason? I would get it done tomorrow if it solves the problem:o

Advertisement