Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q: 2 Hard drives - Vista(C:) and Data(E:) - can I save onto the latter?

Options
  • 22-11-2009 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭

I'm running Vista SP1 on a Toshiba Satellite Pro L300. When I go into "Computer", there are two hard-drives, each with roughly 55GB storage. One is called "Vista(C:)", where there are "Users", "Windows", "Program Files" etc folders. The other is called "Data(E:)", where there are a couple of empty folders, and a "HDDRecovery" folder.

"Vista(C:)" is nearly full. My question is, can I save documents and install programs on the "Data(E:)" drive? I've never had this kind of thing before when I was using XP - there being two hard-drives - and was just wondering if the "Data(E:)" should be kept empty for some reason unknown to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Go ahead and use it, that's what it's there for. The logic being, you save all your files (music, pics, docs, movies etc) in the data folder and leave the "Vista" partition for the operating system and program files.
    There is only one hard drive, it's just that it's "partitioned" to look like two drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,378 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_partitioning

Most people typically prefer to keep the Operating system on its own PArticion (C:) while putting data and programs, file backups and restore programs on others (D: E: F: etc) Its all the same hard drive though. If it goes, everything goes. Unless you got a 17 or 19 inch monster top' with 2+ physical drives in it, thats what you have.

You can install your games and programs on D and they will still run as if they were installed on C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

If you ever need to do a recovery or reinstallation from the Windows CD, it'll wipe everything on the C: partition but should in theory leave other partitions intact.

So most people keep things like photos, music, videos there. (but always, always, always keep some backups elsewhere!).

Also note that the first partition is always on the fastest part of the drive (the outside). Thats why the OS is there, and thats why its a good idea to use that partition for programs also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Thanks for clearing that up guys.

Advertisement