Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Developer phone

Options
  • 22-11-2009 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi just joined up to http://market.android.com as im interested in purchasing a dev phone from google. after paying the $25 i went on to purchase the phone only to notice that they dont deliver to the republic of ireland.

I'm only a novice when it comes to developing android applications so looking for advise on where to go from here. As i need a new phone but do i really need a dev phone or could i buy any android phone to test out future apps.

Is it worth investing in a dev phone ? or is there a better alternative?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

terry_s wrote: »
    Hi just joined up to http://market.android.com as im interested in purchasing a dev phone from google. after paying the $25 i went on to purchase the phone only to notice that they dont deliver to the republic of ireland.

I'm only a novice when it comes to developing android applications so looking for advise on where to go from here. As i need a new phone but do i really need a dev phone or could i buy any android phone to test out future apps.

Is it worth investing in a dev phone ? or is there a better alternative?

You probably dont need to buy a dev phone right away, you might be able to get away with the emulator.

Have a look in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I got my phone off a Google employee here in Ireland, its the one they got for a bonus last xmas, its cool cos it gets the updates first :D

Any phone will do, the new HTC Hero is on Meteor now, you could also pick up the G1 on Ebay cheap enough now I would imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭terry_s

Yeah starting to think any phone will do. Looking at getting the G1 dont fancy parting with huge amounts of cash only to have an outdated phone a month later.

Would anyone recommend the G1 or should i go for something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

terry_s wrote: »
    Yeah starting to think any phone will do. Looking at getting the G1 dont fancy parting with huge amounts of cash only to have an outdated phone a month later.

Would anyone recommend the G1 or should i go for something else?

I have the G1 and its a perfectly good phone, its technically not as good as the iPhone, the screen is a bit of a let down and isn't as responsive as it should be and the battery life is dire but its a perfectly good phone to test your applications on.

It has all the features that Android can use and I found it perfectly good for testing my location aware application out, if you cant find one I may be tempted to sell mine if the HTC Hero comes down in price a bit after xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭terry_s

Cheers guys for the feedback, draffodx would be interested send me a messsage if you decide to get the hero. If i haven't found my ideal android phone i'll take it off your hands.

• Advertisement
Advertisement