Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Xbox - Worklog

Options
  • 22-11-2009 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

some time ago Kinetic and Witnessmenow asked how we can improve this forum and one of the ideas was to show your own modifications. As I started to mod my Xbox (again;)) I said why not to make a worklog out of it. So here it is.

History of this particular Xbox started when I was looking for a DreamXbox. It is a heavily modified Xbox with expanded RAM to 128mb and CPU changed to 1.4ghz PIII Tualatin Celeron with 256kb of cache opossite to 64mb of RAM, 733mhz CPU with 128kb cache in original Xbox.

The thing is that it is easier to find a living unicorn than working DreamX. I found broken one and decided to fix it but I failed.

I found a guy in China, he posted some time ago on xbox-scene that he managed to change the CPU from 733 to 1ghz. Memory wasn't big problem, it is just matter of steady hand and good solder iron. He agreed to have a look and try to fix my board. He failed as well, but managed to build his own socket board to fit 1.4ghz CPU. Hurray!

After over two months of waiting I finally got the board a week ago and started to build new toy.

I didn't want to do anything major modding to case, just inside. My idea was to install DVD dongle and wireless control pad inside, install XERC 2 (the yoke thanks to which you can power on and off your xbox with remote control) and maybe slot-loading DVD drive.

The Xbox isn't finshed yet but here are few pictures:

IMG_1427.jpg
    The 1.4ghz P3 CPU with 512kb cache

IMG_1433.jpg
    XERC, DVD dongle and wireless pad receiver hardwired to controller board

IMG_1434.jpg
    XERC glued to back side of the mobo

IMG_1437.jpg
    Extra memory chips

IMG_1439.jpg
    New quiet fan

IMG_1441.jpg
    Ghetto radiator ;)

Will update thread in near future.

PS. This is one of two most powerful Xbox's in Ireland :P (I like to show off)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Not really an update, but found spare 15minutes today and decided to install heatsinks.

IMG_1443.jpg

Please feel free to comment. I'm also open to new ideas.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I'd comment if I knew what it was you were doing, I see wires everywhere but I've no idea what you're at :P

What's the DVD Dongle for? And wireless control pad inside - I don't quite understand that part of your first post :D

Also, would the increase to the CPU & Memory render it useless for games? So you're gonna use this as a media centre?

I'd comment if I knew what it was you were doing, I see wires everywhere but I've no idea what you're at :P

What's the DVD Dongle for? And wireless control pad inside - I don't quite understand that part of your first post :D

Also, would the increase to the CPU & Memory render it useless for games? So you're gonna use this as a media centre?

DVD dongle is the small thing which you connect to one of the controller ports so you can use remote control with the xbox. Instead having it outside I soldered wires from it directly to control pad connector.

Similar thing with wireless control pad, I installed the receiver inside, so nothing sticks outside but you can have wireless pad, just like x360.

As for the games, there is a patch for them so they can be played on the xbox. But I don't play much as I don't have time at the moment. Still haven't finish Fallout 3 on my X360, and there are 4 DLC's waiting, then Dragon Age ;)

It is used as media center with XBMC. Thanks to faster CPU watching .mkv's is finally possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

docentore wrote: »
    DVD dongle is the small thing which you connect to one of the controller ports so you can use remote control with the xbox. Instead having it outside I soldered wires from it directly to control pad connector.

Similar thing with wireless control pad, I installed the receiver inside, so nothing sticks outside but you can have wireless pad, just like x360.

As for the games, there is a patch for them so they can be played on the xbox. But I don't play much as I don't have time at the moment. Still haven't finish Fallout 3 on my X360, and there are 4 DLC's waiting, then Dragon Age ;)

It is used as media center with XBMC. Thanks to faster CPU watching .mkv's is finally possible.

Now it makes more sense, some pretty sweet mods there, would make for a nice media center :D

As for games, don't talk to me - I stopped playing properly four+ years ago, I'm way behind :P

As for games, don't talk to me - I stopped playing properly four+ years ago, I'm way behind :P

Yeah, I know, getting old is no fun :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement