Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Economy - Those WITH jobs making most noise? Why?

Options
  • 22-11-2009 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Why are the unemployed so quiet? Even on the talk shows? Why is it (a sociological question as opposed to a rant) that it is those WITH jobs rather than those without them, who are making most noise about our economic state?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Because it is not those with jobs making the most noise. It is organisations with vested interests in appearing to be "doing something" for the people they purport to represent, spinning their own agenda.

What organisation gives **** about the unemployed? They are profitable to nobody.

Nate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Upsider

but i am intrigued why , given the level of unemployment, why people have stayed so quiet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭erictheviking

Upsider wrote: »
    but i am intrigued why , given the level of unemployment, why people have stayed so quiet?
    The unemployed get a good deal here compared to other countries. Maybe thats why there not giving out!

....that might last for a while - but what if you had a good income; have a large mortgage and have suffered a huge drop?

Apathy.

There is no mechanism to focus the sea of anger into action. Nothing short of a 2nd Republic will actually change anything in Ireland, so most people won't bother.

Give it another Budget or 2, when reality begins to kick Ireland square in the nuts, and you might see something then. But it will be unfocused and impotent.

Nate

• Advertisement

... or is it dog eat dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

..........because the Irish public is servile and subservient.
    By that I mean people will tolerate situations and lie back and accept things without questioning.

This is what has led us to this situation.

There would be blue murder in any other nation if unemployment levels were at 14%.

do you think anyone gives a sh*t about the unemployed... or is it dog eat dog?

Don't understand the question, sorry.

I'm not saying nobody gives a ****. It's just that it doesn't serve any organisations vested interests (except the unemployed) to incite the unemployed to start marching on the dail. Once that happens it becomes uncontrollable. Lip service is paid the the plight of the unemployed, but none of the established political groupings would try to channel that anger.

Bit like kicking a live bomb, it could end up blowing up in their face.

Nate

I meant, do you think everyone else is so concentrated on holding on to their job to take any notice for the unemployed?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

As an unemployed person: because I'd rather spend my time trying to get a new job (job-hunting and up-skilling) than ringing Joe Duffy. Somehow I think it'll do me more good.

• Advertisement

I meant, do you think everyone else is so concentrated on holding on to their job to take any notice for the unemployed?

I'm not sure what you expect these people to do. You correctly point out that many are currently in fear of their job, believe me, they notice the unemployed. How can they do anything about it, bar cling on to their own jobs by their fingernails?

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

The unemployed get a good deal here compared to other countries. Maybe thats why there not giving out!

Give it 6 weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

It's not quite true that no-one is interested. Eight council seats and 43% of first preference votes to Seamus Healy's WUAG.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Peanut wrote: »
    Give it 6 weeks...
    What's in 6 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

kbannon wrote: »
    What's in 6 weeks?

I could be entirely wrong here, but I'm assuming that we'll see some of the effects of Budget 2010 within Jan of next year (or at least they will be 'pending').

Everyone knows that this will have to include a major social welfare cut, but up until now it's been sort of academic.

I wouldn't expect that situation to remain the same once the cuts are enforced. Using a (reduced) welfare to fund mortgage repayments at boom prices is unsustainable. I think the Government will have to seriously consider some sort of mortgage relief package for individuals - not necessarily a bailout, but some breathing space for those worse affected (Government carries some culpability for lax regulation etc., so should take the lead in improving the situation).

do u think people with jobs care much for those without jobs is my quetion i guess?

do u think people with jobs care much for those without jobs is my quetion i guess?

I don't think anyone cares about anyone else, to be honest.

Everyone wants to take care of their own (and rightfully so). In my opinion, I don't think anyone cares what gets done to the girl next door or the guy down the street, so long as things are OK for number one.

This is one of the reasons why i was ranting away in the "Halve dole for under 24s" thread. I feel that if, during the budget, it seems like they're attacking any particular group (such as 20-24 year olds) then there'll be uproar, but an even percentage across the board taken off everything (Welfare, min. wage, public sector stuff, etc. etc.) then everyone is still in the exact same boat as they're currently in, but a little less off (which won't last long because prices will eventually have to fall in line).

I mention this because welfare is there. It exists, whether you love it or hate it. People rely on it and whether you think it's immoral or not, people are used to it and expect it to be there to cushion the blow when they lose their job, or need cash whilst looking for a job/upskilling.

I reckon that if welfare is cut hard then people on it will get pretty upset and make a lot of noise, much more than those who have jobs, and that's when things will balance out. When welfare people start making noise, that's when the employed will realise how lucky they are to be in a job (and will maybe lose the attitude and illusion that those on Welfare are living it up and having the time of their life).

At the moment, judging from Boards, i'd say that employed people hate Welfare recipients because welfare recipients are a bunch of lazy, useless, workaphobic, con men who are screwing the system (and thus Ireland) out of everything.

In 2010, if welfare recipients get pissed off, then i reckon the attitude will change to "thank fcuk im not on welfare like those poor cnuts".

But my own rant aside, to answer your question, generally speaking, no. I don't think employed people give a shit about the unemployed. Employed people are under the impression that recession or not, there are tonnes of jobs being offered door-to-door to unemployed people, but they wont take them because, either:

1. The job is below the person
    2. The person is too lazy for work

But again, that is merely my opinion after having read many, many posts on boards over the past year or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

There is very little organised or funded bodies representing the unemployed. The unions are well funded and connected therefore they get lots of airtime on the national broadcaster (who's researchers, journalists and editors are members of the said unions).

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

There is nothing I can do for unemployed people other than pay the tax that pays their social welfare. Do I care? Not really, its tough, will I care this Friday afternoon when I walk out the door of my office and on to the dole, damn f***in right I will.
    There is no voice for unemployed people in this country because the unemployed are an underclass and as such have nothing to offer. How many people with their strong opinions on this thread are actually unemployed? I would like to see a forum here that is for the unemployed and gives the unemployed somewhere to rant amongst their inconsequential selves.
    How do you go about suggesting this or establishing it, any help?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Ask for a new forum here...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Rantan wrote: »
    There is nothing I can do for unemployed people other than pay the tax that pays their social welfare. Do I care? Not really, its tough, will I care this Friday afternoon when I walk out the door of my office and on to the dole, damn f***in right I will.
    There is no voice for unemployed people in this country because the unemployed are an underclass and as such have nothing to offer. How many people with their strong opinions on this thread are actually unemployed? I would like to see a forum here that is for the unemployed and gives the unemployed somewhere to rant amongst their inconsequential selves.
    How do you go about suggesting this or establishing it, any help?

sorry but there is plenty of voice for the unemployed, all i ever hear on the radio and tv is protecting the "vunerable" in our society, i.e all those on state benefits, they get more air time than anyone, apart from the unions.

And if you are asking why the employed are so p#ssed off, well my salary fell €250 per month since the April budget, ignoring the Dec budget, and whats it being spent on an over inflated, underworked, and in general useless PS and a way too cushy and overpaid social system which doesn't even distinguish if you have worked your entire life and been unlucky to loose your job or spunged all your life and never contributed a penny to this country

so I'm pi##ed that i'm working 60 hours a week to keep others in a good lifestyle

Tipp Man wrote: »
    sorry but there is plenty of voice for the unemployed, all i ever hear on the radio and tv is protecting the "vunerable" in our society, i.e all those on state benefits, they get more air time than anyone, apart from the unions.

And if you are asking why the employed are so p#ssed off, well my salary fell €250 per month since the April budget, ignoring the Dec budget, and whats it being spent on an over inflated, underworked, and in general useless PS and a way too cushy and overpaid social system which doesn't even distinguish if you have worked your entire life and been unlucky to loose your job or spunged all your life and never contributed a penny to this country

so I'm pi##ed that i'm working 60 hours a week to keep others in a good lifestyle

s**t, I hope you never lose your job, and get the opportunity to experience the good life, I wil be on teh dole next week and certainly am not looking forward to this cushy existence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Rantan wrote: »
    s**t, I hope you never lose your job, and get the opportunity to experience the good life, I wil be on teh dole next week and certainly am not looking forward to this cushy existence.

You are loosing your job next week (sorry to hear that), so i can assume that you have paid taxes, PRSI etc for all of your working life?? Are you happy that someone who has contributed absolutley nothing to this country gets the same social as you??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

hinault wrote: »
    There would be blue murder in any other nation if unemployment levels were at 14%.

The Spanish have gone around 10% above that and I haven't heard of any genocide yet.

*EDIT* Not found a reliable source for 24% but it's well above ours anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Sleepy wrote: »
    As an unemployed person: because I'd rather spend my time trying to get a new job (job-hunting and up-skilling) than ringing Joe Duffy. Somehow I think it'll do me more good.
    +1

I'm too embarrassed about it to be honest. Just looking forward to earning a wage again someday.

Tipp Man wrote: »
    You are loosing your job next week (sorry to hear that), so i can assume that you have paid taxes, PRSI etc for all of your working life?? Are you happy that someone who has contributed absolutley nothing to this country gets the same social as you??

no of course I'm not happy about it, its not right, but to be honest I've more important things to worry about, every society has gougers, there always will be gougers.
    Of course something should be done to "encourage" them back to work, reduced payments if no genuine effort is made to find work etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Caoimhín wrote: »
    There is very little organised or funded bodies representing the unemployed. The unions are well funded and connected therefore they get lots of airtime on the national broadcaster (who's researchers, journalists and editors are members of the said unions).

perhaps not the recently made unemployed but the long term unemployed or wellfare class are well represented , the povery industry is very vocal in this country and has easy access to our media , vincent browne has someone on his panel at least one night a week

private sector middle income earners are the least represented people in ireland , ironically enough this is also the largest working group although close to 200 thousand of them have become unemployed in the last 18 months

no sentimentality, empathy, understanding here eh? All the unemployed grouped into one large amorphis mass (if that doesn't represent multiple oxymorons!).

Do you REALLY REALLY think that state benefits adequately assist ALL unemployed? I mean, there are over 400,000 of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

no sentimentality, empathy, understanding here eh? All the unemployed grouped into one large amorphis mass (if that doesn't represent multiple oxymorons!).
    It's not an accident. The government and various lobby groups have been trying for months to pit the private and public sectors against one another. Generalisations help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Sleepy wrote: »

The employed are driven by fear of unemployment, but that's not a big motivator for those who have already lost their jobs. They have more pressing concerns.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Advertisement