Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butcher selling Game?

Options
  • 22-11-2009 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭

Well lads,

Do you know of any butcher in Limerick city who sells game? (Pheasant, rabbit etc)?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

Don't know about the middle of town, but I believe Garretts Butchers, Fr Russell Road out in Raheen do pheasant and rabbit and possibly venison. Haven't been there myself, but will be having a look before Christmas. Happy hunting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

iora_rua wrote: »
    Don't know about the middle of town, but I believe Garretts Butchers, Fr Russell Road out in Raheen do pheasant and rabbit and possibly venison. Haven't been there myself, but will be having a look before Christmas. Happy hunting!

Sound I know Garretts. Used to go there a bit when I was in Limerick full time. It's kinda out of my way now but I could try there some evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Great question and thanks for the info, iora_rua.....that'll be on the menu at some stage over the next week or two here!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Hogan's butchers on William St sell rabbit. I picked one up on Saturday.

Aidric wrote: »
    Hogan's butchers on William St sell rabbit. I picked one up on Saturday.

Was it whole or how was it?
    What did you do with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    What did you do with it?

I'd like to think they ate it :D

I'd like to think they ate it :D

Hopefully they had some kind of weird puppet show with them first.

What did you do with it?

It was whole yes. We removed all the meat, browned it off for a few mins and then used it in a rabbit stew. We used this recipe and it worked out a treat:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/rabbitandpearlbarley_89209.shtml

You could also use the discarded bones for a stock.

Aidric wrote: »
    It was whole yes. We removed all the meat, browned it off for a few mins and then used it in a rabbit stew. We used this recipe and it worked out a treat:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/rabbitandpearlbarley_89209.shtml

You could also use the discarded bones for a stock.

Cool, I'm sure they would butcher it too for me if I asked?
    Did you notice if they had pheasant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Lydl advertised some fantastic frozen game last week

turkey, duck, goose, pheasan, ostrich and venison even i think.

• Advertisement

Cool, I'm sure they would butcher it too for me if I asked?
    Did you notice if they had pheasant?

I'm sure there would be no problem there. They are a nice bunch in there.
    I didn't see any pheasant in there but I'm sure they'd help you out if asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

That's a nice recipe - thanks Aidric - must look in at Hogans (and Garretts on the way home), if it ever stops raining long enough to get out of the car! Rabbit is also available down in the English Market in Cork (although maybe not this week ...).

Aidric - to save me time looking - where did you find the pancetta and fennel please?

Lidl do have a good range of frozen game although it's not the cheapest. I think the venison was around 10 euro for two steaks, unless I misread the label.

I think the main thing with cooking rabbit is not to overcook it as it's quite a delicate meat. Anyone else got a decent recipe?

iora_rua wrote: »

Aidric - to save me time looking - where did you find the pancetta and fennel please?

I got both in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Pancetta is delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

we sometimes have pheasant available to take away if you wish. the man of the house hunts quite a bit. pm me your number if you are interested and the next time some is going i'll give you a call

LadyTBolt wrote: »
    we sometimes have pheasant available to take away if you wish. the man of the house hunts quite a bit. pm me your number if you are interested and the next time some is going i'll give you a call

Cheers LadyT. I'll have scout around first and see what I come across. Appreciate the offer though.

There used to always be pheasant at my Grandfathers out in the west but haven't had it in years. Lovely strong taste off it. Would stay in your mouth for hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Ask over on the Shooting Board!

I dont Hunt myself (favouring only to kill paper targets! and nothing living) but there are several Limerick people into shooting that also Hunt and are fairly friendly chaps!

You may be able to source what you want through them.

I know peeps that shoot Pheasent/Rabbit and even Bambi meat. Im sure they would be interested in contact with
    peeps with apreciation with that kind of meat.

I'm not as brave as some people when it comes to tasting
    non generic meat, I tasted duck for the first time in my life today and I hated it, I felt sick after eating 2-3 mouth fulls of it, and still feel sick and its been hours later!

For me I will stick to Chicken or Bacon! and thats as adventurous as I will get.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

A Butcher selling game?

How many Butchers would you have to sell to win this game?

- Is there a prize? Who supplies the Butchers?

My head hurts :(

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

I passed Sadliers on Roches Street today, sign in the window selling Pheasants for 7.99!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 bencherman

Well lads,

Do you know of any butcher in Limerick city who sells game? (Pheasant, rabbit etc)?

Cheers.

I have plenty of rabbits in the freezer skinned and shot with a shotgun so if u dont mind a few pellets then by all means u can have a few

• Advertisement

I passed Sadliers on Roches Street today, sign in the window selling Pheasants for 7.99!

Nice one. I'm up in Dublin, probably till the weekend, and away to England then but I'll be looking to have a game feast the following weekend :D

Advertisement