Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About Jobs/Work

Options
  • 22-11-2009 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭

Hi all
    I was wondering if I could get a job in a web design/development company.

My problem is I am self taught and have an understanding of But not a master of -

HTML,
    JavaScript,
    CSS,
    OOP (Object Orientated Programming) ,
    PHP,
    MySQL,
    SQL,
    SEO,
    Dreamweaver,
    Fireworks,
    Video Editing. (Premier Pro).

Could I get a job or are the collage qualifications a must?????

Thanks for your advice.
    Brian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭DrivingTestTips: Brian

Any advice ???????????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

Do you have examples of your work? If so, and they're good, then perhaps.

I do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

In truth it will probably be difficult as there aren't many jobs around at the moment.

Getting a job is essentially a sales role - you need to persuade the hiring company that you are the solution to thier problem. And so you need to make teh buying decision as easy as possible for them. Tailor your CV for each role, for example by stressing different areas of experience as per the job advert.

Someone who can do a little bit of everything is always good to have around but most people will have a speciality, a core skillset that they get hired on and everything else is a bonus. It sounds like you lack that core skillset and the range of your experience might put an employer off. For example someone looking for a DBA is going to wonder if you would prefer to be doing AV work.

So focus your CV on what the employer wants and de-emphasise the add ons. And stress any commercial or project experience you have. Saying "I know X" is less impressive than saying "here is an commercial example of my work in X"

Good luck!

In truth it will probably be difficult as there aren't many jobs around at the moment.

Getting a job is essentially a sales role - you need to persuade the hiring company that you are the solution to thier problem. And so you need to make teh buying decision as easy as possible for them. Tailor your CV for each role, for example by stressing different areas of experience as per the job advert.

Someone who can do a little bit of everything is always good to have around but most people will have a speciality, a core skillset that they get hired on and everything else is a bonus. It sounds like you lack that core skillset and the range of your experience might put an employer off. For example someone looking for a DBA is going to wonder if you would prefer to be doing AV work.

So focus your CV on what the employer wants and de-emphasise the add ons. And stress any commercial or project experience you have. Saying "I know X" is less impressive than saying "here is an commercial example of my work in X"

Good luck!

I would love to master php and this is area where i would like to work.

Can you or anyone give advice on what the best course of action would be.

Thanks for the advice, Very good point/points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

Especially as you seem to be going for a crossover of designer/developer, a portfolio would be the main thing I think - if you don't already have apps and web sites out there that you've built, get some done. If you reckon the existing ones don't demonstrate your development, graphic design and artistic skills well enough, work on new ones.

On the bonus side, that also gives you something to do while job hunting (as per --amadeus-- post, those kind of jobs do appear a bit thin on the ground right now). And if you manage to monetise one or more apps/sites along the way, it might help (a little) with paying the bills, or indeed allow you to pursue it as a venture in its own right.

Other suggestions would include finding some of the numerous blogs from the web design community, should give you a feel for what's going on out there. Likewise, networking events/conferences/workshops (of which there appear to be many) are all worth pursuing too.

I don't work in web design myself (I'm an engineer), but I have a good few friends who do, and it very much appears to be a "scene" and community based industry, so networking, visibility and recognition are likely to be important.

Especially as you seem to be going for a crossover of designer/developer, a portfolio would be the main thing I think - if you don't already have apps and web sites out there that you've built, get some done. If you reckon the existing ones don't demonstrate your development, graphic design and artistic skills well enough, work on new ones.

On the bonus side, that also gives you something to do while job hunting (as per --amadeus-- post, those kind of jobs do appear a bit thin on the ground right now). And if you manage to monetise one or more apps/sites along the way, it might help (a little) with paying the bills, or indeed allow you to pursue it as a venture in its own right.

Other suggestions would include finding some of the numerous blogs from the web design community, should give you a feel for what's going on out there. Likewise, networking events/conferences/workshops (of which there appear to be many) are all worth pursuing too.

I don't work in web design myself (I'm an engineer), but I have a good few friends who do, and it very much appears to be a "scene" and community based industry, so networking, visibility and recognition are likely to be important.

Thank you,
    more good information

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

BrianCon wrote: »
    I would love to master php and this is area where i would like to work.

Can you or anyone give advice on what the best course of action would be.

One good route is to get Zend certified. That seems to be the general advice on most forums, I've had a look at the certification and its quite comprehensive. It also carries recognition in the industry from what I can tell. $165 is not a bad price either.

Evil Phil wrote: »
    One good route is to get Zend certified. That seems to be the general advice on most forums, I've had a look at the certification and its quite comprehensive. It also carries recognition in the industry from what I can tell. $165 is not a bad price either.

€165 is fine.....I was looking at that earlier and I taught the cost went into €0,000's or at least that is what i saw.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I think if you want to get training from them then you can rack up quite a cost.

• Advertisement

What do you all think of the w3schools certs.?
    Do they hold any clout in the programming world?

It would suit me to do all the required exams and get certified.
    So what do ye think of the w3schools option?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Self proctored exams arent worth the paper they are printed on... if you came into me with nothing more than a w3c school certs, I would be looking at you as if to say are for you for real!

Best option are industry recognised certs such as Zend for PHP.

Realistically that cert coupled with some good portfolio work may give you the edge as you become a 2 in 1 for most companies. Web devs who can do design well are rare enough

Ginger wrote: »
    Self proctored exams arent worth the paper they are printed on... if you came into me with nothing more than a w3c school certs, I would be looking at you as if to say are for you for real!

Best option are industry recognised certs such as Zend for PHP.

Realistically that cert coupled with some good portfolio work may give you the edge as you become a 2 in 1 for most companies. Web devs who can do design well are rare enough

This is my issue, because of my age collage qual are not an option and the Zend seem to be thousands of euro. That is why I am asking about the w3Schools certs.

Thanks for you feedback

You dont need a course to achieve the certification, just take the exam. I dont think it has any prereqs

Just book through http://www.vue.com/zend

Its priced at abou 200USD but given that MS exams are 125USD in the states and about 180 here you can workout the markup for it.

W3c Schools will not provide you with a valid qualification, you would be better off showing an ECDL. Sorry to seem so edgy on it, but it would hurt your chances showing it as a form of certification

this might also help

Certifications for web devs post here

Ginger wrote: »
    You dont need a course to achieve the certification, just take the exam. I dont think it has any prereqs

Just book through http://www.vue.com/zend

Its priced at abou 200USD but given that MS exams are 125USD in the states and about 180 here you can workout the markup for it.

W3c Schools will not provide you with a valid qualification, you would be better off showing an ECDL. Sorry to seem so edgy on it, but it would hurt your chances showing it as a form of certification

That's good to know, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

Why do you think college qualifications are not an option? Feel free not to answer this if you think it's too personal, but is it that you think you're too young, or too old?

I am currently working in the web development industry. I worked first for a web development company, and now am an in-house developer for a pharmaceutical company. In addition, I worked with a number of personal clients while I was in college. All of this meant that I was able to build up a portfolio to supplement my qualifications (a BSc). That said, despite my portfolio and experience, I probably wouldn't have even gotten an interview in my current company without my degree (even though they didn't teach me web design as part of my degree).

Is it really not an option to get some sort of qualification? Last I checked, an awful lot of jobs want some sort of qualification (not just industry certification, but degree level qualification).

Kila wrote: »
    Why do you think college qualifications are not an option? Feel free not to answer this if you think it's too personal, but is it that you think you're too young, or too old?

I am currently working in the web development industry. I worked first for a web development company, and now am an in-house developer for a pharmaceutical company. In addition, I worked with a number of personal clients while I was in college. All of this meant that I was able to build up a portfolio to supplement my qualifications (a BSc). That said, despite my portfolio and experience, I probably wouldn't have even gotten an interview in my current company without my degree (even though they didn't teach me web design as part of my degree).

Is it really not an option to get some sort of qualification? Last I checked, an awful lot of jobs want some sort of qualification (not just industry certification, but degree level qualification).

My problem is that I'm 37 and could not go to college.. I work for myself and would not have the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

BrianCon wrote: »
    My problem is that I'm 37 and could not go to college.. I work for myself and would not have the time.

There are plenty of evening degree courses. In a lot of places especially those more development focused: no degree = no interview, its expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

I'm inclined to agree with the above. Certainly, the last time we hired someone, there was a requirement for qualification and experience. The qualification got you past round one of the cv shuffle.

There are evening and part time courses that you could attend maybe. I know of a few MSc courses that result in web or tech based qualifications. Some will allow "life and work experience" in lieu of holding a bachelors degree at entry, so you could enter as a mature student, demonstrating the work experience and knowledge you have, and work part time towards a qualification maybe?

The other alternative would be to get yourself enough experience that people may consider the cv without the degree (i.e. if the experience and/or portfolio is impressive enough). That would probably need to be experience with an established company though, or self-employment that involved developing for well known companies.

I don't mean to discourage you, quite the opposite in fact, but just to inform you that the web design world is somewhat saturated with self taught professionals, and a good portfolio and/or qualification is something that can separate you from the masses and make you employable. I hope some of this helps.

• Advertisement

Kila wrote: »
    I'm inclined to agree with the above. Certainly, the last time we hired someone, there was a requirement for qualification and experience. The qualification got you past round one of the cv shuffle.

There are evening and part time courses that you could attend maybe. I know of a few MSc courses that result in web or tech based qualifications. Some will allow "life and work experience" in lieu of holding a bachelors degree at entry, so you could enter as a mature student, demonstrating the work experience and knowledge you have, and work part time towards a qualification maybe?

The other alternative would be to get yourself enough experience that people may consider the cv without the degree (i.e. if the experience and/or portfolio is impressive enough). That would probably need to be experience with an established company though, or self-employment that involved developing for well known companies.

I don't mean to discourage you, quite the opposite in fact, but just to inform you that the web design world is somewhat saturated with self taught professionals, and a good portfolio and/or qualification is something that can separate you from the masses and make you employable. I hope some of this helps.

Thanks

Advertisement