Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wellity wellity wellity!

Options
  • 22-11-2009 9:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe people will remembera while back some mention was being made of the newspaper stand at the junction of O'Connel st and Abbey st and its attendent coterie of scumbags?
    Well,the last five days i've walked by i havnt seen anybody hanging round there and on one occasion i actually saw to guards telling a bloke to piss off who was standing there.
    I presume the cops finally got sick of the crap going on there although i'd like to think somebody read the thread here a while back.
    Anyway,i'm glad they're gone it was a disgrace.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I never notice more than one or two people at the newspaper stands, but plenty at the Luas stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I noticed that the juction of Talbot St and Marlborough St (ground-zero for congregating junkies) has seen a lot less of them over the last few days too. The police also seem to be sweeping through Talbot Lane regularly to move them on from outside the hostel there. Maybe the message is finally getting through-I have a business in the area and the only thing I ever say to Gardai or representatives from Dublin BID is that they break up the large groups of junkies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Victor wrote: »
    I never notice more than one or two people at the newspaper stands, but plenty at the Luas stop.

This particular one has a nook beside it that would be a thriving drugs market with people drinking,fighting and ****-knows what else from approx 8 am every day..an eyesore and in full view of tourists,commuters and kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

I noticed a guard moving on the junkies that always sit on those steps beside the Newspaper stand on the Abbey Street Junction, beside the Sony Center, alright. Must be crackin' down. Although in fairness, moving them on isn't very productive. They're just going to go sit somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

They hang around the Liberty Hall now. I walk past them coming home from uni. I did see on a Saturday them all legging it away as a garda was approaching from Eden Quay.

They're always around the Abbey Street area. Whether it's at the Marlborough st. Junction, further across at The Samaritans building or around at Liberty Hall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

probably a christmas crackdown, similar to the traffic freeflow.
    these druggies must have great alarm clocks to be up so early :p

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

those heroin monkeys never sleep :)

I think they've all moved to the centra on the corner of westmoreland street, it's like some kind of junkie picket.

Stop Press..they were back yesterday afternoon..at least ten of them..up to the usual crap of drinking and shouting..they also seem t o hang out in that shop to the left of the paperstand..i could see three of the arguing from just inside the door.
    I bet a hundred quid that if I lit up a spliff on o'connel st i'd be busted in two seconds flat yet there was a bloke obviously dealing heroin at the junction of d'olier st and o'connel st at 9 am yesterday..he took off his runner and hopped about with a fistfull of deals in one hand and his shoe and a wad of money in the other while his "customers" surveyed the goods... i mean for ****s sake..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Degsy wrote: »
    he took off his runner and hopped over to me with a fistfull of deals in one hand and his shoe and a wad of money in the other while I surveyed the goods...i mean for ****s sake..

Was it not good shit?

Oh, sometimes they sit at the monument across from that shop (centra?) beside the paper stand. They run in to get cans and sit back on at the monument.

It's very sad though. I've seen children/teens with them a good few times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I saw one guy outside the Londis, on a crutch and a can of beer in the other hand. Totally strung out. He lost his balance, fell headfirst onto the ground so hard you could hear the whack. The can stayed upright, not a drop spilled. He hopped up, took his crutch and went off with himself.

That was a summers evening and I thought how lovely for the tourists to see Dublin culture first hand. Forget Riverdance, it all happens around O'Connell St/Abbey St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Stop Press..they were back yesterday afternoon..at least ten of them..up to the usual crap of drinking and shouting..they also seem t o hang out in that shop to the left of the paperstand..i could see three of the arguing from just inside the door.
    I bet a hundred quid that if I lit up a spliff on o'connel st i'd be busted in two seconds flat yet there was a bloke obviously dealing heroin at the junction of d'olier st and o'connel st at 9 am yesterday..he took off his runner and hopped about with a fistfull of deals in one hand and his shoe and a wad of money in the other while his "customers" surveyed the goods... i mean for ****s sake..

I saw soem shockin examples of this the last few weeks. On the 20b coming into town, on Amiens St. where that newish building just across from Molloys(?) pub, some guy handing out bags of white powder to 2 of his buddies, at about hal 8 in the morning. Another time at the junction of Capel st. and Essex bridge, i think its called, some guy standing there bold as brass with a big feck off bag of white powder, coke im guessing, just standing there rolling it up to stash it in his clothes.
    The newspaper stand on O'Connell st is a disgrace in fairness tho. I try and avoid it now as much as possible. Saw a MASSIVE congregation of them at Liberty hall the other day tho.

0ubliette wrote: »
    I saw soem shockin examples of this the last few weeks. On the 20b coming into town, on Amiens St. where that newish building just across from Molloys(?) pub, some guy handing out bags of white powder to 2 of his buddies, at about hal 8 in the morning. Another time at the junction of Capel st. and Essex bridge, i think its called, some guy standing there bold as brass with a big feck off bag of white powder, coke im guessing, just standing there rolling it up to stash it in his clothes.
    The newspaper stand on O'Connell st is a disgrace in fairness tho. I try and avoid it now as much as possible. Saw a MASSIVE congregation of them at Liberty hall the other day tho.

Is that place on Amiens Street not some methadone clinic or something? They're always around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I had one of few and rare :eek: moments in Dublin after living here for donkeys recently. I was attending a training course off Dorset St. and on my way there at 8.45 on a Monday morning I saw three heads coming towards me. Then I noticed one took out a rubber band, one end in his mouth wrapping it around his arm which had the sleeve pulled up. Shot up there and then as brazen as you like.

Nice!

0ubliette wrote: »
    I The newspaper stand on O'Connell st is a disgrace in fairness tho. I try and avoid it now as much as possible

They were all there yesterday at 6pm bottles in hand..one fcucked up looking bird was roaring her eyes out.
    I thought it was an offense to have an opened container of booze in a public place?Every one of the ten or so had drink yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

I had one of few and rare :eek: moments in Dublin after living here for donkeys recently. I was attending a training course off Dorset St. and on my way there at 8.45 on a Monday morning I saw three heads coming towards me. Then I noticed one took out a rubber band, one end in his mouth wrapping it around his arm which had the sleeve pulled up. Shot up there and then as brazen as you like.

Nice!

Twice in Dublin I have seen people shoot up, in the middle of rush hour! Ive heard rumours of it happening but tbh, I didnt really believe it because I thought it was just scare mongering!

And what annoyed me more was the fact that about 100 yards from where I seen these people there were 2 guards checking for tax on parked cars!! :rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

there was 6 of them this evening around 4pm, they had newspapers wrapped around cans

As i was coming home from town last night i noticed a huge gang of assorted junkies and alcos at side of the spar on the southside of o'connel bridge..they were taking up a lot of space on the pavement and one was actually lying sparked out on the ground..this area is the gateway to temple bar and the south city and is used by thousands of tourists every day..what they must think of this city of ours is anybody's guess.
    I remember being warned about prague and athens before visiting both cities and i remeber thinking once i got there that dublin was probably a bigger kip than both of them put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

As i was coming home from town last night i noticed a huge gang of assorted junkies and alcos at side of the spar on the southside of o'connel bridge..they were taking up a lot of space on the pavement and one was actually lying sparked out on the ground..this area is the gateway to temple bar and the south city and is used by thousands of tourists every day..what they must think of this city of ours is anybody's guess.
    I remember being warned about prague and athens before visiting both cities and i remeber thinking once i got there that dublin was probably a bigger kip than both of them put together.

On Westmoreland street? They're always there and up and down the quay as well, it's like some kind of skag head vigil, guys in cars pull up every now and then and "interact" with them

Bambi wrote: »
    On Westmoreland street? They're always there and up and down the quay as well, it's like some kind of skag head vigil, guys in cars pull up every now and then and "interact" with them

Yeah..in one of the busiest areas of the centre of the city...are the police blind or something..considering pearse st garda staton is twenty yards away..ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

They were at the newpaper stand again today and they're always on that statue thing in the middle of O Connell St.

It's so antisocial and quite intimidating to walk by them. In the last few months I've seen three syringes on the pavement. How on earth it's not an offense is beyond me. :confused:

Advertisement