Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

damaged skirtting board

Options
  • 22-11-2009 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi

Dog has just chewed skirtting board edge to bits. any way i can fix it? We're renting so need to fix or could lose deposit :(

Tks

P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

Go to your local hardware shop and get some 'wood filler' .
    Use this to fill in any holes or dents in the timber, If you have to
    sculpture some details of the skirting do it a small bit at a time..Let the first layer dry before you apply the second layer..When it is all dry simply give it a sanding and it should be ready for painting.

Have a serious chat with your dog also......

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Moznips

oh fantastic

tks a million :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Filler is perfect especially if white

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Murdec

In my opinion wood filler might be too soft on a corner where it might get knocked again. Isopon or a similar body fillers would be much harder

• Registered Users Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭altor

Filler is perfect especially if white

Thats good advice, it does a great job as has to do the same myself..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭tpotter

Sometimes, it is just easier to replace the baseboard, as fillers don't always work well or it ends up being obvious they were used. 12 feet(4 Meters) of skirting board is typically not very expensive.

The trickiest part is cutting the corners, so make sure you have some sort of miter box/table saw and read up on how to do it, so you don't waste any wood. It isn't hard to cut it, but it is sort of like a puzzle, so you need to make sure the pieces will fit. Other than that it is usually just a five minute job.

Advertisement