Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best spiced beef?

Options
  • 22-11-2009 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Right, after spending the last few christmases doing Pana, I've decided to get away from it all this year back to Wexford. As a special treat to the yokels, I've promised to bring a hape of spiced beef with me, but I'm wondering where the best spiced beef is. I don't want to go to the hassle of special ordering it or anything, but just want to run into town in a few weeks and pick up a shedload. Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I bring some to Dublin every year from the butchers in Blackpool SC and the family go mad for it. I cannot say if that is the best one, but it goes down a bomb back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Id say just go and check out in the english market. Anything ive ever bought from any of the stalls inside there have been of great quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭bumpintraining

+1 for the English Market

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

+2 for the english market....

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭lisao80

english market for defo..that said i picked up 1 extra last minute in supervalue last year and it was just as nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Yeah, I'm the same, last couple of years, I've just gone into the butchers in Wilton SC and picked up some 2-3 days before the day, but this year, I want to make the inlaws jealous, so want to get some really really good stuff. I'll check out the English market next week, any recommended stalls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Cribbin family butchers in Douglas court & Blackpool SC sell the best spiced beef imo.
    I think they win awards for it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

Burnes in Ballyvolane do a great spiced beef

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

Bresnans Douglas Shopping Cente OUTSTANDING ( think they are no longer in the Dunnes one only the TESCO one)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Try O'Flynn's Marlboro st. traditional family butchers not many of them left at this stage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

How exactly do you cook Spiced Beef? Me mammy has been doing it for years but I haven't a clue. I want to get some for a friend from Tipp who doesn't know what he's missing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Buceph wrote: »
    How exactly do you cook Spiced Beef? Me mammy has been doing it for years but I haven't a clue. I want to get some for a friend from Tipp who doesn't know what he's missing.

Have a read of this
    You can buy spiced online from them also.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭munstercork

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Try O'Flynn's Marlboro st. traditional family butchers not many of them left at this stage!
    Plenty of family butchers still going strong in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I love the stuff but my (Dublin) girlfriend's family can't stand it. Damn them I say, I shall have it this year and damn their hides to Hades!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 onthelang

Best spice beef by far available in Cork is Nugents in Glasheen across from Flannerys bar. An old traditional butcher whose prices are low as well. A lot of butchers inject the spices and roll the beef in spice but this guy marinades it as well. You will probably have to order it beforehand though. This shop is a hidden gem!! Cant beat it for quality and price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Plenty of family butchers still going strong in Cork

Not much left in the city centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 hill1

O Flynns is the best I get it every year and it is lovely and lean. you might need to order it, as they are usually sold out by Christmas week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭104494431

Cape Clear wrote: »

+1

The best quality butcher in the city, imo, by a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neil_

104494431 wrote: »
    +1

The best quality butcher in the city, imo, by a mile.

+2, my family gets spiced beef from there every christmas and it's always great

Advertisement