Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I didn't do too well in the LC so what are my option re: 3rd level?

Options
  • 22-11-2009 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Is it possible to go to a proper 3rd level institute like UCD, DIT, Trinity, UCC without getting the points required for your course for CAO?

I'm almost 23yo so is this of any significance (i.e. mature student)?

Basically I'd like to know is it possible to go to Griffith or UCD without going the CAO way because I wouldn't have the points to get in.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭loca1

Anything is possible if you put your mind to it and really want to do it. Im a mature student 25 just started a degree in Child Health and Education the points were 360 this year I think I only got 280 when I done the leaving. Anyway I worked myself up to this level by doing part time evening courses in Montessori and Childcare. When you apply as a Mature Student you are required to do an interview in most cases in this you can show you are willing and can discuss any relevant experience. If I were you I would look out for evening courses in the mean time something relevant to what you want to do use it as a stepping stone. I hope that is of help to you and I would say go for it as its a great experience

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

23 means ya can try as a mature student, i'm in gcd, went in at 23 as mature student, should be ok. what course?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

You could always repeat your leaving cert if you want a chance to improve your points ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clarke1991

you could do a PLC course in whatever subject you are intrested in. go to qualifax.ie or carrersportal.ie to look them up. you have to do an interview and they are a year long level 5 cert but you get a good understanding of the subject and a headstart on the next year if you move on from it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

You have to be 23 as at 1 January of the year the course would start in (i.e. 23 in Jan 2010 for Sept 2010 entry) to qualify as 'mature'. My birthday isn't until March so I effectively would have had to wait an extra year to get in and be classed as a mature student.

Generally speaking the usual entry requirements don't always apply so points are less of an issue as a mature student. Not all colleges/universities interview mature students, but many do, and some will have a small assessment (more common for those with no formal qualifications or whose qualifications date from years ago). Doing a related PLC course would be no harm, nor would trying to get some work experience (if possible or relevant) in the area you're looking to study.

'Proper' 3rd level institutes welcome mature students, don't let the points problem stand in your way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

PLCs take Mature Student from age 21

then most PLC certs/diplomas will get you onto the degree

Advertisement