Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance co. asking tradesmen for invoices?

• 22-11-2009 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

Hi. Trying to get the retention back from insurance co.s after a claim under my house insurance policy. The invoice from my tradesman went in (VAT registered invoice). They rang him up looking for evidence of bills for materials that went into the job.

1. Should they not be contacting me - and not him?
    2. They have seen that the work has been completed. Isnt visual inspection enough?

Aside from everything else, the guy that did the work is busy and doesnt have time to go rummaging around for receipts. Is it necessary or can I just tell the ins. co. to get on with paying out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,454 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Eurorunner wrote: »
    Hi. Trying to get the retention back from insurance co.s after a claim under my house insurance policy. The invoice from my tradesman went in (VAT registered invoice). They rang him up looking for evidence of bills for materials that went into the job.

1. Should they not be contacting me - and not him?
    2. They have seen that the work has been completed. Isnt visual inspection enough?

Aside from everything else, the guy that did the work is busy and doesnt have time to go rummaging around for receipts. Is it necessary or can I just tell the ins. co. to get on with paying out?

If it was your money would you just pay out on blind trust?

Presuming he can support all the costs which went into the invoice (and for some reason the Insurer doubts this) there will be no problem. I do not accept he is too bust to go rummaging around for the invoices - poor him.

Just give over the required and payment will be made - what is the big deal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

thebiglad wrote:
    If it was your money would you just pay out on blind trust?
    Absolutely not. I'd inspect (and they've done that already).
    thebiglad wrote:
    Just give over the required and payment will be made - what is the big deal?
    The big deal is that they are delaying my payment when in fact they have visited my house and seen for themselves that the work is done AND been provided with the required receipt from a vat registered contractor. What more is to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Answer: They don't believe the invoices, or are spot-checking claims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Did you have any other work done on your house around the same time? Perhaps the assessor saw that and suspects the claim was "padded" a little?

• Advertisement

3DataModem wrote: »
    ...suspects the claim was "padded" a little?
    At the end of the day, they provided the estimate of what it should cost!

Anyways, got it sorted. I provided them with a receipt from a vat registered contractor. Thats what they stipulated originally and thats all they were told they were getting. Cheque in the post.

However, a word of warning to anyone finding themselves in the same situation over the next while. With recent events (floods), you can be sure they will be playing hardball for any claims that go in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

Which company is doing this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

It's up to you to prove your loss, they viewed it so yes it happened but now quite reasonably they want proof of the financial loss. It will be in your policy under 'how we settle claims', don't supply the invoices and you won't be paid

I'm not sure if its the same in Ireland, but in the UK theres some sort of agreement, I cant for the life of me remember what it was called, but basically, between insurers, builders / garages etc once theres only an invoice, theres no questions asked and invoice is paid. Under certain amounts you don't even need an invoice as such, you can just be told the amount and payment would be issued, with an invoice to follow.

The place I work have never been party to it, and more & more insurers are pulling out of it due to the rise in fraudulent claims, far too risky to just go throwing money around blindly.

Rosser wrote: »
    It's up to you to prove your loss, they viewed it so yes it happened but now quite reasonably they want proof of the financial loss. It will be in your policy under 'how we settle claims', don't supply the invoices and you won't be paid

Loss was already proven before I got the all clear to go do the work. They called and assessed the loss, agreed the cost of repairs.
    Invoice was supplied. BUT they were looking for invoices for materials used by the contractor - getting a bit complicated at that stage - unnecessarily so - and thats why they were told to go fish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement