Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for buying campervan in England

Options
  • 23-11-2009 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'm thinking of investing in a van conversion for weekends away etc. with my friends. However, I really have very little knowledge of what to look for, what kind of prices I might be paying, and what to avoid.

Does anyone have know any good websites I could check out? A lot of the information I've found on this board is related to buying/driving in Ireland, and I'm not sure how much is applicable to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

Check if it can be taxed as a campervan. I cant remember off hand but it there is a certain height for the inside. There are a few other things as well they should be in any camper(bed, cooker etc).
    If not, you will have to pay higher vrt, tax and insurance. If the van is over 3 tonnes, the vrt is very cheap - around fifty euros otherwise its about 14% of what the vrt people deem the open market selling price to be (not what you paid). If it does not meet camper regulations, i think its about 30%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Rust is still a huge issue with UK imports . I did 2 Ducatos , both late nineties , and a Transit in the last short while, all UK imports , and rot of dangerous levels on all . Even in chassis legs . An MOT means fcuk all in my experience , if a rot hole is found on a UK vehicle, it'll pass if the hole is just plated over !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭TigerTim

I'd echo what Aidan said. I made the mistake of buying an 1998 Hymer which, although LHD, spent some time in England. Plenty of rust. I even replaced the sump as it was fairly rusty. After replacing it I found I was able to push a screwdriver thru' the old sump with just hand pressure. Think the MOT is sh!te. I've seen a few cars with current MOT that wouldn't come within an asses roar of passing the NCT. Would be more inclined to look towards Germany. That's my tuppence worth.

If you're set on England, buy a copy of the camper mag MMM or caravan Trader - similar to Autotrader but for caravans & campers.

T.

Advertisement