Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleary Family - Dublin

Options
  • 23-11-2009 12:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Folks,

I am trying to trace descendants of my great grand uncle, Owen Cleary. His sister Ellen was my great grandmother. He was born in 1871, trained as a tailor, moved up to Dublin as a young man to work in South William Street.

He lived at No. 6 Camden Place. His bride to be, Mary Hutton lived only doors away. Mary and Owen married at St. Kevin's church in South Dublin City on 22/07/1894. Mary's occupation on their wedding cert was stated as a tailoress. They later show up on the census of 1911 (Mary as 'May') as living on William Street, with their children Thomas Cleary (b. 1898), Leo Cleary (b. 1904), George Cleary (b. 1905), Mary Cleary (b. 1907), and Josaphine Cleary (b. 1910).

It may be that Owen's wife Mary passed away first as on the 1939-40 electoral register Owen was listed with just his children Leo, George, and Margaret at No. 20 York Street, Dublin 2. From Dublin City Archives I see that between the years 1937-1942, there was an Owen, Mary, Leo, Margaret and George Cleary living at 20 York Street. However, between the years 1943-45, there was only Owen, Leo, Margaret and George Cleary Living at 20 York Street. There are no signs of the Cleary family at this address after 1945.

It may be the same person or not, but it has been suggested that Owen's son Leo worked as an Inspector for Dublin Bus and went by the name of Larry and retired in around 1992. This may or may not be the same person. There's a chance that the youngest of these children may be alive and I would be happy to get in contact with their children or grandchildren. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kickboxing

Hi My name is John Scales my mother is Lena Scales nee Boshell her mother was Josaphine Cleary of 20 York st Dublin she died in 1943 she had a brother Leo and George, Josaphine married William Boshell and they lived in Cooley rd Dublin, he was a tailor by trade and went on to be a bookie! He died in 1976, they had 8 children May Carmel Lena Billy Leo Vera Victor and Fergus...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kickboxing

Hi From what ive been told Mary Cleary died young I think she was 21...Nan (Josaphine) Died of Knee cancer in 1953, the family moved to England after that and settled in Basildon in Essex, as you can imagine we have a very big family over here! We have lost Billy and Victor both to cancer... if you go onto FB we have apage Boshells of the world stand up... there are some photos on there we dont know who they are maybe your side of the family? there are no photos of my nan they have been lost over the years I wonder if you had any old photos weddings Etc see might be in the crowd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

OP was banned so it's unlikely he'll be back 6 years later to read your posts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement