Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of buying a garmin - Lane assist worth it?

Options
  • 23-11-2009 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Hello.

As per title does the lane assist work well on these? When I've used non-lane sat navs in the past choosing lanes was always a problem.

I think it was the 1340 I was looking at on amazon but the reviews were fairly poor so I'll need to look at the other models.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Can't comment on the Garmin but I have lane assist on CoPilot 8 but I think they all work the same way. Initially I thought it was useful but found it's more of a hinderance because of the way it's set up.

The instruction to leave a motorway is set from the actual split, not at the start of the slip road so the lane assist stays up for too long obscuring the next turn. When you manually switch it off the screen hangs for a moment (may be a CoPilot problem), by that stage you are at the roundabout at the end of slip not knowing what lane you are supposed to be in or going up the wrong way at the next split. Became quite a problem in the UK recently with multiple splits at some motorway junctions so now the feature is switched off on mine.

Garmin may handle it better but I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

101sean wrote: »
    Can't comment on the Garmin but I have lane assist on CoPilot 8 but I think they all work the same way. Initially I thought it was useful but found it's more of a hinderance because of the way it's set up.

The instruction to leave a motorway is set from the actual split, not at the start of the slip road so the lane assist stays up for too long obscuring the next turn. When you manually switch it off the screen hangs for a moment (may be a CoPilot problem), by that stage you are at the roundabout at the end of slip not knowing what lane you are supposed to be in or going up the wrong way at the next split. Became quite a problem in the UK recently with multiple splits at some motorway junctions so now the feature is switched off on mine.

Garmin may handle it better but I doubt it.

Thanks for that. I'm not quite clear on your explantion on coming off a motorway? I'm really going to look into this further because lane assist seems like a very good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

It works great on my TomTom. Any problems that "101sean" has been experiencing are to do with his setup, I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Do not be confused by the CoPilot 8 setup, the Garmin Lane Assist feature works slightly differently. I cannot tell you how well, or not, it works on a 1340, as I don't have one, but I've used it on a 760, and thought it worked well.

Things to consider, the 1340 has lane assist, the 1340T does not.
    The 1310T has bluethooth, but not lane assist, the 1340 has lane assist, but not bluethooth - personally, I'd pick lane assist, but everyone's different!

Decide what features are really important to you, and then buy a 765T!

:D

Edit: amazon price: 1340 = £140, 765T = £170.
    Actually, these prices are at the UK VAT rate. If you buy one from Amazon, they will charge you the Eire VAT rate, and the 765T becomes £179.60. :(

Advertisement