Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem with condensation inside shed roof!!

Options
  • 23-11-2009 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have put a clear corrugated roof on a newly built wooden shed/workshop and i am having problems with condensation. The drops of water are holding on the inside of the roof and are not dropping as yet but i fear they will start dropping come early spring as temps will change more rapidly with sunrise.
    I am contemplating putting a second layer of (4no 6ftx2.5ft) the same sheets straight onto the existing roof. With the existing roof screw cappings acting as spacers for this 2nd skin, in the hope that this will create a temp change barrier, therefore cutting out the condensation. will this work??
    Also the shed/workshop is well vented, i dont want it to be too cold in there.....:) Thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Sounds like you'll create a perfect greenhouse for mould and mildew.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 phxfrmtheflms

have you any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭gillad

you should have put a layer of felt under the sheets.if you can attach felt to the under side of the sheets which will be awkward to do,this will stop condensation .....gripfill or mastic may stick the felt to the sheets

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Flat, as opposed to corrugated, twin or multiwall clear polycarbonate sheeting in place of the corrugated stuff.

I take it when you say clear you mean transparent so it lets in light?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Hi,

had the same prob with my shed. the cold air outside is hitting the slightly warmer air inside and condensing on the roof.
    I put up 1" insulation and then ply -but a lot of work.
    What I eventually did was, to lift the roof (you said it was clear) and run a full sheet of plastic under the roof -down to the front/gutters.
    you might be able to get a clear -heavy gauge plastic -to let the light through.

k

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Murdec

Air flow would mostly elimenate teh condensation but leaving windows open is a bit daft really. Did you consider spraying on the insulation to the roof?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

I used large bubble wrap rolls rolled over the joists before putting the roof material on. Worked out fine.

Advertisement