Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online pricing? $ = €? :/

Options
  • 23-11-2009 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I find myself frustrated at the fact that we, using the Euro, are getting totally ripped off online. Any site i've visited that sells digital (downloadable) products in multiple currencies almost always converts the euro to the exact same value as the US dollar. Companies sell the exact same product(s) at €50 and $50. As far as I know €1 does not = $1 so why am I paying $80(Converted from € to $) while Americans are paying $50? Or why am I paying £45 while the British are paying £35?

Honestly, it feels like we're being taken advantage of and we're being laughed at by companies all over. We pay more than anyone else and we usually get second rate services.

I really wish I could simply notify the proper body without having to wade through the amount of BS required to simply say "This isn't fair. Check it out and do something." I just want to be able to send a simple complaint about the unfair trading for us using the € that companies force upon us.

So, yeah. Is there any way I could simply write an email to the appropriate authorities to point out this problem without having to give my finger prints, photocopy of my passport and picture? Is it better to go directly to the EU or Irish body?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Rip Off Ireland

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

the appropriate authorities
    There is no such authority, check out this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

A lot of the download sites have to charge Irish vat - or UK vat if the buyer is in the uk. If you were int he states, sales tax would be added at the end of the transaction.

So $80 @ €80 in reality is $80 @ €65.84 or about $96. Still a 20% premium, but not as bad as it seems at first.

Of course when the dollar was at $1.23 earlier this year the Irish vat inclusive price would have about the same as the US price.

Advertisement