Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW - Misfire Price

Options
  • 23-11-2009 1:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

So bought a BMW 2003 318i e-46 import recently. Took it to my local mechanic who is not a BMW expert etc. but he couldnt figure out the exact problem. Got a recommendation to go to another outfit (in Limerick). Car is misfiring and 3 faults showing up but in order to find out the problem the mechanic says they have to strip down the engine. Before even doing this (though I'm told this crowd are very good - not a dealer) guy says it will cost at least 500e. My question is, is this a reasonable price before parts etc?????? Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

If the head has to come off, etc., the labour would probably cost about that much. Who have you taken it to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Did they tell you the exact fault is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

They want to strip it for a misfire? Post up the name of the garage and someone'll tell you if they're any good. Did you buy the car with the misfire?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Did they tell you exactly what the faults that diagnosed (with a computer) were?
    I really don't understand how stripping down the engine will reveal the cause of a misfire.
    Has anything been replaced so far (plugs, coils, etc.)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

The M43 engine in your car is a very reliable unit, which was carried over from the E36.

Can you post some more of your sympthoms and people here will try to help you out. The head may very well need to come off, but you'd want to be 1000% sure before proceeding when it might be something simple, see below.

To give you an example my e46/m43 was loosing coolant (source could not be found), had low-ish compression on one cylinder, got a "sniff" test done on the coolant which showed up positive. The mechanic that done the sniff test said the head had to come off.

I eventually found the coolant leak from a pipe at the back of the head, fixed with a €0.5 o-ring hasn't lost a drop of coolant in the last 18 months. The low compression seemed to be a sticking exhaust valve, just drove it a bit harder the odd time, every time i've check the compression since its been fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement