Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Building garage - Where can i find the planning requirements/exceptions

• 23-11-2009 1:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

We are looking into knocking our existing garage, which is at the back of the house and unattached to the house. We wish to knock this and build a new bigger garage, does this require planning permission? Rough dimensions being 24ft * 18ft.

We also wish to erect a shed behind this garage of 20ft * 20ft. This is on higher ground so a flat roof will help keep it below the house roof height.

Where can i find the requirements/constraints such as how many metres squared you can build before needing planning, etc... Looking on the louth county council website and under the planning section I dont seem to see the appropriate document, its not in the development plan, where is this info?
    Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

You'll find it here...

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/si/0600.html

go to exempted developments and start at class 1.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

from http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/Planning/FileDownLoad,1586,en.pdf
    7. Can I build a garage?
    You can build a garage, carport, shed, greenhouse, kennel
    for domestic pets etc., as long as it does not extend out in
    front of the building line of the house and does not exceed 4
    metres in height, (if it has a tiled or slated pitched roof), or 3
    metres (if it has any other roof type). The floor area
    limitation for exempted development is 25 square metres.
    The structure may not be lived in, used for commercial
    purposes or for keeping pigs, poultry, pigeons, ponies or
    horses. Garages, sheds etc. to the side of the house must
    match the finish of the house. You cannot reduce the open
    private space, reserved exclusively for the use of the
    occupants of the house, at the side or rear of the house
    below 25 square metres.

that's a planning info leaflet, not law, but easy to read

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

From what you are describing you will need planning. you already have a garage therefore you need planning for another one, you may be able to convert the existing garage to habitable space exempted with an exempted link but I think you will need planning for the new garage and shed. You should consider asking your area planner for a more definative view on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 townplanner

We are looking into knocking our existing garage, which is at the back of the house and unattached to the house. We wish to knock this and build a new bigger garage, does this require planning permission? Rough dimensions being 24ft * 18ft.

We also wish to erect a shed behind this garage of 20ft * 20ft. This is on higher ground so a flat roof will help keep it below the house roof height.

Where can i find the requirements/constraints such as how many metres squared you can build before needing planning, etc... Looking on the louth county council website and under the planning section I dont seem to see the appropriate document, its not in the development plan, where is this info?
    Thank you in advance!

Bushykangaroo,

Refer to CLass 3 in Schedule 2 at the back of the Planning Regulations 2001 - 2006. This tells you what is exempt and more importantly lists the various conditions and limitations on any exemption. However, be very careful when reviewing what is exempt as it can be more complicated that people realise. For example an An Bord Plenala Inspector will prepare a 15 page report to arrive at the conclusion as to whether something is exempt or not. Most people do not realise that you must also review Article 9 'Restrictions on Exemption'. This lists a number of restrictions on what may at first glance appear exempt from planning permission. For example the construction of a shed would not be exempt if it contravened a condition of a previous planning permission or if the dwelling is located in an Architectural Conservation Area. If you are in doubt it is worth seeking a Section 5 declaration from your local council to determine if the proposed development is exempt or not - forms should be available on Council website. If not, ring them and ask for them to be sent out to you. In the meantime I have prepared a detailed response to a similar request on my Kildare Planning Blog which may be of some help. I am not sure if I can post the link to this on this forum (only new and not aware of all the rules) but you can always google it. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

In the meantime I have prepared a detailed response to a similar request on my Kildare Planning Blog which may be of some help. I am not sure if I can post the link to this on this forum (only new and not aware of all the rules) but you can always google it. Hope this helps.
    On this point you should first of all refer to the rules that you agreed to which were contained in the confirmation email you got when you signed up.

Secondly you should take a couple of minutes and familiarise yourself with the forum charter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 townplanner

muffler wrote: »
    On this point you should first of all refer to the rules that you agreed to which were contained in the confirmation email you got when you signed up.

Secondly you should take a couple of minutes and familiarise yourself with the forum charter.

I read forum charter before I started posting initially. The blog is an information site on planning so certainly did not think I was infringing on any of the rules. However, to play it safe I didn't inlcude any direct link. I've read the charter again since and note that you can pm moderater if unsure so will certainly do this next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭bushykangaroo

Cheers folks! Theres no way its going to be exempt after reading them links. Cheers for the help, let the planning process begin :)

Advertisement