Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law people: Summer Internships in US

Options
  • 23-11-2009 2:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if any law people out there know of anywhere I could find information on getting into a summer internship with an American law firm?

How likely are they anyway to hire Irish students?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Umm, not likely.

Speaking as a student who was in the US on exchange who got polite rejection letters from all the firms I applied to.

The pay is great if you can get it - 2500-2800 dollars a week. But they look for people who will be qualified to work in the US i.e. JD students who are taking the bar.

You looking to emigrate to the US and do the bar? Otherwise working in an Irish firm would be a much wiser career move.

And in case you think I'm a doofus that no firm would want - I have offers from top Irish firms for traineeships after I graduate...but the Americans want someone who they can offer a contract to after the internship and most Irish law students do not meet that requirement.

Write the best legal journal article for the DU law journal and you get an automatic internship in a NY firm I believe. That might be your best bet. (edit: and probably less competitive too - best article out of 100 submitted... in the US you'll be competing against hundreds/thousands of people). And the US law firms are currently laying off attorneys so it's a buyer's market right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

However if you are serious about trying for a legal internship and believe you have what they want - here is a very helpful site that lists firms by size, location, salaries etc etc

http://nalpdirectory.com/dledir_search_advanced.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 10 legaleagle22

Did you ever look into this further? I'm thinking of doing this for 2018 - the summer that I graduate (will have graduated by then) - but unsure if it's even worth putting the time and effort into.

Advertisement