Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Tip for the water shortage

Options
  • 23-11-2009 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

Hi All,

Hope you are coping well with this water disaster, quick tip for gathering toilet water, etc.... take the downpipe from your guttering outside the house and redirect the water into a wheelie bin, bucket, etc.. did this for my parents at the weekend and they have bucket loads of rainwater collected handy for being able to fill up the toilets.

Tony

P.S anyone looking for bottled water there was loads in supervalue in glanmore yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Tony255 wrote: »
    take the downpipe from your guttering outside the house and redirect the water into a wheelie bin, bucket, etc.. did this for my parents at the weekend and they have bucket loads of rainwater collected handy for being able to fill up the toilets.

Already did this a few days ago, never thought of sharing the tip though. Cheers :)
    Tony255 wrote: »
    P.S anyone looking for bottled water there was loads in supervalue in glanmore yesterday.

Tesco and Dunnes Stores in the city centre have it also, so do Aldi in Blackrock (they have 5litre water bottles for around €1.50 - no that is not a typo!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

kingtut wrote: »

so do Aldi in Blackpool

Blackrock? - seen a 40ft container heading back from their yesterday

Tesco are selling 8x 2 liter bottles for €4 in mahon

Anyone know what Supervalu are charging? wouldn't be surprised if they upped their prices

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Anyone know what Supervalu are charging? wouldn't be surprised if they upped their prices

They did that in 2007 in Galway when I lived there during the cryptosporidium contamination. The city council funded a 2-for-1 scheme for a particular brand of water and SV upped the price for that water. Utter scumbags, I'll never forget that. Any business that tries to extort people during a crisis like this deserves to get burned down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 i55ed5

I think it is an absolute disgrace that now, in the time ppl need water the most, shops such as Dunnes Store has raised the price of bottles water dramatically.!! There is a recession Like.!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

i55ed5 wrote: »
    I think it is an absolute disgrace that now, in the time ppl need water the most, shops such as Dunnes Store has raised the price of bottles water dramatically.!! There is a recession Like.!

Really? Name and shame! Which Dunnes?

• Advertisement

cornbb wrote: »
    They did that in 2007 in Galway when I lived there during the cryptosporidium contamination. The city council funded a 2-for-1 scheme for a particular brand of water and SV upped the price for that water. Utter scumbags, I'll never forget that.

Its a very Irish thing to do

so far it was the likes of Halfords B&Q Tesco and Aldi that didn't increase their prices

I'm in halfords and b&q around twice a week due to work and didn't see any silly increases

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Blackrock? - seen a 40ft container heading back from their yesterday

sorry meant blackrock alright lol...oh and I meant 5litre bottles of water, not 5litre empty containers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Was in Dunnes in Blackpool yesterday and didn't think they were charging anymore than usual. My problem is getting suitable storage containers as they seem to be hard to find, due to the council not providing any.

I really feel for my neighbours - they've got all their pots and pans outside, they don't seem to have anything decently sized to fill up, not even a bucket. Terrible really.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Tony255

Most fastfood outlets will have buckets from sauces, etc... that they would be more than willing to leave someone take off their hands. Give them a shot I got three at the weekend and they are water tight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭shnaek

I was in Dunnes yesterday and got 8 2ltr bottles for €4 so they hadn't put up their prices at that stage anyways. No shave now the last 3 days. Starting to look a bit hairy...:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

They did that in 2007 in Galway when I lived there during the cryptosporidium contamination. The city council funded a 2-for-1 scheme for a particular brand of water and SV upped the price for that water. Utter scumbags, I'll never forget that. Any business that tries to extort people during a crisis like this deserves to get burned down.
    One of the neighbours was telling me earlier that one of the well known home and garden supplies stores in the city had upped their prices from €11 to €23.50 for their 10 gallon water containers in the space of a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

One of the neighbours was telling me earlier that one of the well known home and garden supplies stores in the city had upped their prices from €11 to €23.50 for their 10 gallon water containers in the space of a few hours.

Name and shame I say.

That said SHAME ON THE COUNCIL for not sourcing suitable containers.

The retailers don't seem to be hiking prices on water ASAIK, but I doubt they're charged cost price either - or are they? Would be interesting to know. I had a bottled water phase a few years ago and if anything it seems a little cheaper, certainly for buying bulk. The problem I see is that a lot of "good" drinking water is ending up wasted on flushing loos etc, rather than having bulk supplies for other purposes in suitable containers.

shnaek wrote: »
    No shave now the last 3 days. Starting to look a bit hairy...:cool:

First we get beat by the French, now we have to live like them :p

Irish owned by any chance?

I heard the same thing about one of the Irish owned DIY stores

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Don't forget folks, a good thick clean bin bag etc with no holes can hold many ltrs of water, you can use them to catch water from downpipes with out diverting them, just tuck them under any rain water opening an watch it fill up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

I can't stop thinking this :rolleyes: (and this is more than likely the wrong thread to post this in but i was reading the tips) -

There are of course huge downs to the flood (businesses affected on top of Christmas/houses destroyed/hospital & colleges ruined in Cork) but so many great things have come of it too!

Sorry if you don't agree but it's really making me smile now!

On the plus sides people here are finally coming together again and trusting each other, volunteering to help complete strangers in their time of need!

I was walking through town last Friday and the people you would usually see sniggering at elderly people who've dropped their shopping bags or people who turn their noses up when you say "good morning" were getting into wellies and helping people lift sandbags, shouting up to people hanging out their windows just to keep them company before help came.
    It was just so nice to see. :):):)

Plumbers and builders, carpenters and alot of the labour workmen who had been laid off even have work to do. The ones I know anyway are overjoyed to either get a bit of work before Christmas, and the really generous ones who are offering their help free of charge.

Yes we're out of water but look on the bright side if you can, people here have came up with some fantastic tips for gathering water for the cisterns & providing information about the attic tanks.
    Even some kids from college were taking their clothes off and swimming in the water on washington street during the flood! :D

I just think things could be much worse. We are so lucky.

And I just know in like five or ten years we'll all say to one another:
    "ha ha can you remember the flood in 09? Oh I was out of water it was so horrible I smelled like crap ha ha ha etc etc"

Rant Over. :rolleyes: The End.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 i55ed5

Really? Name and shame! Which Dunnes?

Dunnes In Blackpool Shopping Centre.!! Disgrace :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

Got 16 gallons of rain fall from my garage roof in about 4 hours this morning.

Advertisement