Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Littlewoodsireland - Headache after headache

Options
  • 23-11-2009 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭

I just want to know opinions about this...

Due to a screw up on Littlewoods part I had to return part of a wardrobe to them. It appears they refunded me twice (80 euros - need to confirm this coz I dont trust them as far as I could kick them). They sent me a letter saying how unusual issues like this are :rolleyes: etc and they wanted the money back. I just assumed they would charge my credit card again. I checked my account today it seems they have applied interest to the amount they over-refunded me since payment is overdue (they didn't charge my cc again...) I did not sign and credit agreement and have always paid in cash/credit card.

Money is tight this month and as this went back onto my credit card it just went to paying the balance.

Do they have any right to charge me interest in this case? I waited for several months for a wardrobe to be delivered while they held onto my money, it should be me charging interest...........

X

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Xcellor wrote: »
    I just want to know opinions about this...

Due to a screw up on Littlewoods part I had to return part of a wardrobe to them. It appears they refunded me twice (80 euros - need to confirm this coz I dont trust them as far as I could kick them). They sent me a letter saying how unusual issues like this are :rolleyes: etc and they wanted the money back. I just assumed they would charge my credit card again. I checked my account today it seems they have applied interest to the amount they over-refunded me since payment is overdue (they didn't charge my cc again...) I did not sign and credit agreement and have always paid in cash/credit card.

Money is tight this month and as this went back onto my credit card it just went to paying the balance.

Do they have any right to charge me interest in this case? I waited for several months for a wardrobe to be delivered while they held onto my money, it should be me charging interest...........

X

they would have no right to charge interest in this case, i might be a mistake, if not just complain to your cc company

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Correct, as you did not enter into any kind of credit agreement with them they have no right to charge you interest for their error.

They may have grounds to do this if they had requested a refund and you had taken 6 months to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Xcellor wrote: »
    I just assumed they would charge my credit card again.

How would they charge your card again when they didn't have authorisation for it? I mean, when you purchase something off them, you are giving them authorisation to charge your card that time and that time only. Any further charges need a new authorisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

the difference may also be a difference in exhange rate if they are organising the payment from england.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

MacGyver wrote: »
    the difference may also be a difference in exhange rate if they are organising the payment from england.

Littlewoods operate in Ireland and charge in Euro so there wouldn't be any exchange rate charge.

OP you need to contact them by phone and tell them the situation and inform them that you are going to submit a complaint in writing demanding that they refund you the interest which was charged owing to their own mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

penexpers wrote: »
    Any further charges need a new authorisation.

Not necessarily. When you set up an account, you most likely give them authorisation to charge you for any owing amounts. Why they didn't correct their mistake, as the OP expected, is a mystery. They certainly can't charge you interest (probably at about 30%) on a mistaken refund on their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There might be something buried deep in the T&Cs you signed about interest charges - but it's unlikely for this situation.

As others have said, take a firm stance here. Tell them that you are happy to refund the extra amount to them, but you are not paying any interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jannise

Littlewoods has refunded me for the same item twice, but I did not notice it (happened 3 months ago).
    First they tried to send me a bill for that item, which of course I refused to pay, as I never received it.
    Now I finally found out, that they refunded it to me twice, but it seems that their staff is not able to figure out what happened and keep asking to pay the bill,.
    Do I have to pay the money back?

They have never admitted their mistake!!!

Of course they are charging interest, but I do not pay attention to it, as I know it is illegal, to charge interest on the amount they voluntarily transferred to my.

Could you please advise me from a legal side, do I have to pay the money back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I believe they have to prove that it was in error, even then I think its a very grey area. They have a contract with the CC companies just as you do so it depends on the status of this.

Advertisement