Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giving up drinking

• 23-11-2009 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

So I was out on Sat night, and it's been the first time I've been out in a while. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've been out since April this year.

And unfortunately, I'm still feeling the effects today (Monday). I know they say that hangovers get worse as you get older, but I was never able to not get hangovers. Having said that they were always gone after one day. Now I can feel the effects lingering on for 2 days at least.

Anyway I was thinking there now about just giving up the drink altogether. I don't know how easy I would find it to be honest if I was going out a lot. But I'm just so fed up with hangovers.

Anyone else ever decided to cut themselves off?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Anyway I was thinking there now about just giving up the drink altogether. I don't know how easy I would find it to be honest if I was going out a lot. But I'm just so fed up with hangovers.

Famous Last Words I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Drink less?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

So I was out on Sat night, and it's been the first time I've been out in a while. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've been out since April this year.
    Me too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Recently decided to do away with the drink myself, few bad nights in a row with bad drunken decisions on the nights have led to the choice. At best Ill have 3/4 in a whole night. Nothing to get drunk. Just something to drink and I do like the taste.

Hangovers dont ever get me in the morning the day after, always in the evening, just feel totally drained. Up till then no headache or soreness, but come about 5/6 oclock, just nearly dead...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Yeah, setting the money aside, it's just the feeling crap for a day or two later. Also I find it messes my head up and leaves me feeling bad/down as well until it gets out of my system.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Yeah, setting the money aside, it's just the feeling crap for a day or two later. Also I find it messes my head up and leaves me feeling bad/down as well until it gets out of my system.

Ditto. I'm still WRECKED now from Saturday night. I wont feel better until I sweat a lot at the gym later and use the sauna/steam room. Tomorrow I might be ok but usually after a bad Saturday I'm not 100% until Wednesday.
    I'm still not giving it up though.

Knowing me though, I'll be at the Boards christmas beers snorting Jack Daniels at the bar :D

I'm skipping the gym today as I don't have the energy for it. Another downside of a hangover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

I stopped drinking :) When i stopped at first only would have a bottle when i did go out,and then rest was orange juice for rest of night or water.Couldn't be bothered drinking at home.Now don't drink at all :)

One thing you will notice how dumb people are when they do drink which is great fun to watch :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Haven't had a drink since half six yesterday evening..

delighted with myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

And unfortunately, I'm still feeling the effects today (Monday). I know they say that hangovers get worse as you get older, but I was never able to not get hangovers. Having said that they were always gone after one day. Now I can feel the effects lingering on for 2 days at least.

You could try drinking 5 or 6 pints on a saturday night instead of 14 or 15 before you consider giving it up alltogether.

I gave up the booze 3 years ago and if i could go out on a sat night and drink 5 or 6 pints and then go about my life as normal then thats whe way i would do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

First weekend in months I didnt touch drink. Feel alot better now monday morning. Think I might do it more often:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I dont go out as often as I used to and today I know why. Out Saturday night and way too much to drink. Could not sleep a wink last night and so tired today. Going to give up drink? No way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

That happened to me a few weeks back, hadn't been out drinking in months and went on the lash drinking weissbier instead of me usual stout. Don't remember some parts of the night and woke up the next day with a hangover from hell. The weird thing was I was really down in the dumps for three or four days afterwards, which is pretty odd for me. Made me consider knocking the gargle on the head for a bit. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

OP try switching drinks, I've been finding recently that if I drink beer all night I'll feel like muck the next day, whereas I can pack away the whiskey all night and feel great the following morning (well, afternoon).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I dont go out as often as I used to and today I know why. Out Saturday night and way too much to drink. Could not sleep a wink last night and so tired today. Going to give up drink? No way.

story of my life, sunday night insomnia. I get that from boozing, it messes up my whole system and i don't sleep when hungover. You just feel kind of stale then on Mondays. It's horrible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It's been about a year since I had a drink.

Go me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

gerry28 wrote: »
    You could try drinking 5 or 6 pints on a saturday night instead of 14 or 15 before you consider giving it up alltogether.

I gave up the booze 3 years ago and if i could go out on a sat night and drink 5 or 6 pints and then go about my life as normal then thats whe way i would do it.

I would go along with that, I drink very little now.. just a bottle or two every month or three.. because once you're used to money being in your pocket, you'll never justify, literally, pissing large amounts of your cash away..

If you feel you can continue drinking alcohol with moderation, find yourself in a position also where you're actually enjoying the drink, a nice bottle of London Pride or Fuller's ESB, every week or so, instead of a means to get blasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Bambi wrote: »
    That happened to me a few weeks back, hadn't been out drinking in months and went on the lash drinking weissbier instead of me usual stout. Don't remember some parts of the night and woke up the next day with a hangover from hell. The weird thing was I was really down in the dumps for three or four days afterwards, which is pretty odd for me. Made me consider knocking the gargle on the head for a bit. :(

Thats why I packed it in altogether.

Used to go out most weekends - the hangover was bad, but the feeling of being down just felt worse.
    That feeling would last a couple of days : that neutral feeling.
    No reason to feel low : life is good everything is fine :
    So i packed in the drink completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    OP try switching drinks, I've been finding recently that if I drink beer all night I'll feel like muck the next day, whereas I can pack away the whiskey all night and feel great the following morning (well, afternoon).

You shouldn't be encouraging him to drink and giving him ways to drink stuff that cause pancreas cancer :(:rolleyes: He is thinking about not drinking :cool:

Grandmaster have two drinks on a night out then switch over to water or juice.And good luck:cool: in a while you wont even remember why you drank in first place.When you are laughing your ass off at everyone else and cringing for them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

stopped dead for medical reasons a few years ago. Got sorted medically then started having a few drinks again. Not very many, was never a huge drinker anyway. Granted, it took me a complete stop before I could revise my habits but if I am going drinking, which is now a rarity, here's my approach:

You know how much gets you drunk, as opposed to how much you can drink. So aim to only drink enough to get your drunk. do not keep drinking just because you're still upright and have money in your pocket.

Eat before you go out.
    shock horror, drink water between every 2 drinks. It hydrates you and takes up some time too, lessening the alcohol input.
    Stay out of rounds.
    Here's the hardest part, when you're drunk, and you know you're drunk...... stop drinking alcohol!
    Eat something on your way home.

It's a very hard habit to change, because it's your drunken self that keeps drinking, when you're buzzed take the foot off the accelerator :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

I play footy most Sundays,well weather permitting and we've had no game in 6 weeks cos of weather.Usually I wouldnt drink on the weekend if we've a match but because we've had no game I've benn out the last 6 saturday nights and I hate it.Your sunday's are a total write-off,well they are now im the wrong side of 25,and you just feel down for a couple of days.OP if giving up is the way ya wanna go then go for it,Its all about willpower.Just think of the money you'll save!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

im off he booze 2 years now,haven't even had a whiff..im amazed how much money i've saved. must be €50-60 a week easy. unfortunately the social scence has suffered..i do still go the pub on a friday to play darts/pool but its very difficult to tolerate your mates when they're full of gargle..the ****e talk that goes down is quite impressive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Lads, I'm wrecked from the weekend. It was a mad weekend, should have seen it. Got sick everywhere and woke up naked on my couch covered in sweat and maybe some blood. Can't remember any of it. My head is pounding but it was well worth it in my opinion. Though, thought it was a bit weird becase I don't drink but lads, must have been a great night, right?

Lads?

No matter how much I drink I usually suffer for about an hour and then just get hungry but hangovers never stop me doing things. I actually enjoy the really hungry aspect of being hungover. I often go out during the week so have to get up and go to work. Not lying in bed speeds up the hangover going away a lot I find.
    BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    story of my life, sunday night insomnia. I get that from boozing, it messes up my whole system and i don't sleep when hungover. You just feel kind of stale then on Mondays. It's horrible.

A few pints on a sunday evening will sort that insomnia;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

I gave up drink for a year once(due to dating a lad at the time who didn't drink). Didn't mean to stop drinking I just couldn't have been bothered!

Found it extremely difficult trying to stop drinking in the last few years. But instead I've compromised and have cut back on my intake of alcohol.

Due to being a seriously poor student(until the grant comes in:p) I've only had 3 student nights out since the start of September...and one of those was a sober student night. :eek:

I've no problem staying in these days and it's been good as I'm actually getting good grades. May even pass my first year in college at this rate!(second attempt-alcohol ruined my last attempt at first year!)

Hangovers DO get worse as you get older....gggrrr
    Try and cut back. Drink slower. Don't do "rounds" that way you won't have to keep up with the speed everyone else is drinking at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Also I find it messes my head up and leaves me feeling bad/down as well until it gets out of my system.

I think you'll find this is alot more widespread than you would think. If you google search for 'alcohol withdrawal' you find a whole host of forums and people asking questions about hangovers and why they suffer anxiety, unease, depression, general bad feelings after a binge or heavy night of drinking.
    Granted, some people seem their cheery selves the next day after a mammoth session, but I would guess most people suffer the natural feelings of unease, depression, anxiousness, that come after heavy drinking. Alcohol is a depressant after all, and that's what it does, depresses the central nervous system.
    I would suggest drinking less (as others have said) and avoiding drinknig 2 or more days in a row. I think there is a cumulative effect so two nights drinking on fri+sat is alot worse than one night as you don't fully get recovered before your drinknig again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 General Mayhem

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Drink less?
    gerry28 wrote: »

Pretty much these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

Yeah grandmaster ( your into Martial Arts by any chance ? ), hangovers get harder as you get older. I only drink once or twice a week these days. Like a lot of others, I don't actually need the drink itself or the taste of it, but when Saturday evening comes around, well, a little voice inside keeps saying to me, " Jayus man, what sort of a sad bast*rd are you that you don't go out and meet some people or something ". But it's true, it's hard looking at the same 4 walls.

I'm a big martial arts nut, and so training all my life has been a good discipline for me as if I go on the rip I know I will pay for it the next day in the gym and feel the night before has been a terrible waste. The last few Saturdays I've stayed in to watch the UFC so it's been a good excuse not to go to the boozer.

Anyway, best of luck if you can give it up, I have tried too many times only for it to end in failure. But maybe you could post now and again to let us know how your getting on, if your successfully kicking the demon drink ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

m off he booze 2 years now,haven't even had a whiff..im amazed how much money i've saved. [/QUOTE

Fair play. Was thinking of stopping aswell. Into the running at the moment so thats more of a reason.
    Also when im drinking I have to smoke which I hate :(
    So theres too reasons. Plus the money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

It's been about a year since I had a drink.

Go me.

How is it working out for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

EL_Loco wrote: »
    do not keep drinking just because you're still upright and have money in your pocket.

This is quite a revolutionary idea and might be difficult for most irish people grasp.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

im off the drink ages ( good few months )

odd sip of wine at crimbo or birthdays but other then that i don't need or want it.

Honestly, you just need a better diet ( simple things like drinkin more water... ) and shizz like this wont happen or it wont be so severe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

The hangovers I can deal with. For me it's the stupid embarrassing things I do when drunk that bother me the most. I'd love to be able to drink in moderation, never really managed to do it. Unfortunately it's either all or nothing with me.

Best of luck Grandmaster, I hope you manage to give up the poison. Let us know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭newmills

Gave it up at the start of the year and honestly don't miss it. Getting up at 7 on a sunday morning to 3 small kids with a hangover is not good. I was breathalysed a few weeks back on a sunday morning on the quays..big zero on the machine!!
    You only think you are missing something when in reality you aren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

There are certain occasions when it's really hard not to drink, e.g. weddings, stag parties. And I will never, ever hit the dance floor sober :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

http://www.uclan.ac.uk/information/services/sss/the_i/health_and_safety/media/beer.jpg

Just think of all the fantastic loveliness you'll be missing out on.

I reckon I had 1 pint and either 6 or 8 jack daniels and coke. That was it. My head was in an awful state yesterday. A girl even invited me out to meet her yesterday but I was so b****xed I couldn't go meet her.

Today I'm just sleepy, with a slight headache that panadol hasn't helped and a sore throat from shouting in the nite club as the music was so loud.

I was out in April and had a huge night, then two quietish nights out in June, a messy night out in Milan in September and that was it. That's been my drinking exploits for the last 8 or 9 months.

Although I have to admit, I've made and broken the "I'm never going to drink again" promise, many times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I've pretty much given up drinking in the last few months, I was never a big drinker but in September I had to stop completely because I was on medication for a few weeks, and since then I've just gotten used to a) having an extra 50 quid in my pocket on a Sunday b) getting into my nice warm car after a night out instead of walking home in the cold or waiting for a taxi c) watching other people get messy and wasted and being glad it's not me and d) not waking up with my head banging the next day :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Greyfox

No and for as long as a pint of Coke costs €5.80 I can see no incentive. The problem is the ONLY way you can enjoy a night out in Dublin is with a few drinks because when your sober your aware of the fact that almost everyone else around you is a jibbering idiot and it's this awareness that ruins the night!

Advertisement