Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving up drinking

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

EL_Loco wrote: »
    do not keep drinking just because you're still upright and have money in your pocket.

This is quite a revolutionary idea and might be difficult for most irish people grasp.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

So I was out on Sat night, and it's been the first time I've been out in a while. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've been out since April this year.

And unfortunately, I'm still feeling the effects today (Monday). I know they say that hangovers get worse as you get older, but I was never able to not get hangovers. Having said that they were always gone after one day. Now I can feel the effects lingering on for 2 days at least.

Anyway I was thinking there now about just giving up the drink altogether. I don't know how easy I would find it to be honest if I was going out a lot. But I'm just so fed up with hangovers.

Anyone else ever decided to cut themselves off?

im off the drink ages ( good few months )

odd sip of wine at crimbo or birthdays but other then that i don't need or want it.

Honestly, you just need a better diet ( simple things like drinkin more water... ) and shizz like this wont happen or it wont be so severe

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

The hangovers I can deal with. For me it's the stupid embarrassing things I do when drunk that bother me the most. I'd love to be able to drink in moderation, never really managed to do it. Unfortunately it's either all or nothing with me.

Best of luck Grandmaster, I hope you manage to give up the poison. Let us know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭newmills

Gave it up at the start of the year and honestly don't miss it. Getting up at 7 on a sunday morning to 3 small kids with a hangover is not good. I was breathalysed a few weeks back on a sunday morning on the quays..big zero on the machine!!
    You only think you are missing something when in reality you aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

There are certain occasions when it's really hard not to drink, e.g. weddings, stag parties. And I will never, ever hit the dance floor sober :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

http://www.uclan.ac.uk/information/services/sss/the_i/health_and_safety/media/beer.jpg

Just think of all the fantastic loveliness you'll be missing out on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I reckon I had 1 pint and either 6 or 8 jack daniels and coke. That was it. My head was in an awful state yesterday. A girl even invited me out to meet her yesterday but I was so b****xed I couldn't go meet her.

Today I'm just sleepy, with a slight headache that panadol hasn't helped and a sore throat from shouting in the nite club as the music was so loud.

I was out in April and had a huge night, then two quietish nights out in June, a messy night out in Milan in September and that was it. That's been my drinking exploits for the last 8 or 9 months.

Although I have to admit, I've made and broken the "I'm never going to drink again" promise, many times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I've pretty much given up drinking in the last few months, I was never a big drinker but in September I had to stop completely because I was on medication for a few weeks, and since then I've just gotten used to a) having an extra 50 quid in my pocket on a Sunday b) getting into my nice warm car after a night out instead of walking home in the cold or waiting for a taxi c) watching other people get messy and wasted and being glad it's not me and d) not waking up with my head banging the next day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Anyway I was thinking there now about just giving up the drink altogether. I don't know how easy I would find it to be honest if I was going out a lot. But I'm just so fed up with hangovers.

Anyone else ever decided to cut themselves off?

No and for as long as a pint of Coke costs €5.80 I can see no incentive. The problem is the ONLY way you can enjoy a night out in Dublin is with a few drinks because when your sober your aware of the fact that almost everyone else around you is a jibbering idiot and it's this awareness that ruins the night!

Advertisement