Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser card security online?

Options
  • 23-11-2009 10:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

Hey
    i booked flights with aerlingus last night with my lazer card the 1st time ive used it online as i dont have a credit card,but just wondering this morning i was never asked for a pin or security code.I just put in the card number,expiry date,and my address and that was it.I wasnt asked for my pin code at all.Is this correct?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Hey
    i booked flights with aerlingus last night with my lazer card the 1st time ive used it online as i dont have a credit card,but just wondering this morning i was never asked for a pin or security code.I just put in the card number,expiry date,and my address and that was it.I wasnt asked for my pin code at all.Is this correct?

Yes this is fine. You would actually be less secure if they asked for pin (i.e. it would be a scam). They don't ask for this with credit cards either.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Other downside of Laser cards is you can't do charge backs like credit cards which is a problem if you've had issues with the supplier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Never EVER enter your PIN on a website, or type it anywhere other than a bank machine, in a bank or at a retailer's card reader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

But say if someone got my atm/lazer card and they knew my address they could use a card very easy so i dont see why they ask for a pin code or security code

But say if someone got my atm/lazer card and they knew my address they could use a card very easy so i dont see why they ask for a pin code or security code

Giving your PIN too would be far worse than someone knowing the card number and your address.

• Advertisement

If some one had my card and knew my address they could get flights on aerlingus too?

If some one had my card and knew my address they could get flights on aerlingus too?Whats the point of a pin or security code then

If some one had my card and knew my address they could get flights on aerlingus too?

Yes, that's how phone and Internet orders work. It wouldn't do them much good to have flights booked in your name though, and it would be pretty easy to catch them when they turn up at the airport.
    Whats the point of a pin or security code then

The PIN is for card present transactions, and not for phone or Internet orders. The CVV2 security code is an additional feature, that ensures the buyer has access to the card when they're doing a buyer not present transaction. It's by no means 100% secure, but it is an additional security feature. Most Laser cards don't have this code.

Well you could just book other names on a flight like i did.Sorry im new to the whole lazer card thing

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions as it is related to Laser cards.

OP, it's always preferable to use a credit card to purchase items online.

Yes. As long as they knew all card details and your address. However, they'd have to enter their personal details in order to be able to travel (i.e. passenger name on ticket), so they would be traceable.

Likewise if someone uses your card to order goods from the internet, they'd have to specify a delivery address. Again, it makes them more traceable.

It's a little harder than you might think to use stolen credit card/laser card details. However, it's far from impossible either, so always exercise caution when using your cards. For instance, always cover the keypad when entering your PIN number. It's amazing the amount of people you see in supermarkets blindly tapping in their PIN.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

Cabaal wrote: »
    Other downside of Laser cards is you can't do charge backs like credit cards which is a problem if you've had issues with the supplier

From our unfortunate experience laser cards can be charged back to the retailer if a customer claims non delivery of the item(s) or that the card was used fraudulently.

Advertisement