Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to Carlow Tonight....

Options
  • 23-11-2009 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, I need to get to Carlow after work tonight (coming from Limerick), and want to know if any of the roads are affected by floods.

Anyone know of any issues on the route? The stretches I'm interested in are Abbeyleix to Carlow, and I know its outside of the scope of this forum, but Roscrea to Abbeyleix. I could go from Borris In Ossory to Abbeyleix via Ballycolla, or just go through Mountrath (but I'm wary of the Mountrath-Abbeyleix road).

Any travel tips appreciated..... cheers. Can't see anything mentioned on the AA Roadwatch site, so I hope that means there aren't any major issues.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

I was at an equestrian event down carlow/kilkenny area yesterday and the people down there coming up from the south were saying there was alot of flooding to be seen but the roads were not blocked but all this rain we are getting today may change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Going to the Kilkenny Road. I know Kennedy Street and Bridge Street are pretty bad (closed?) so I'd probably take the ring road around to the Dublin road into the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Mr E wrote: »
    Going to the Kilkenny Road. I know Kennedy Street and Bridge Street are pretty bad (closed?) so I'd probably take the ring road around to the Dublin road into the town.

Ok well I know the road through the town from the Abbeyleix side is def blocked. Used to live over the leighlinbridge side and that is completely closed, I think that side of town is very bad the river has got so high cars were floating yesterday. You might be better off trying to take a different route if possible, even if it adds a little to your journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1121/weather.html
    The Army has been deployed to some of the worst hit areas, including Cork city, Clonmel, Ballinasloe and Carlow where they are assisting local emergency services.

Is there a helpline number that can be rang to ask what roads are closed off, in Carlow?

The AA Roadwatch map is very good. Looks like the only other dodgy spot on my journey is outside Toomyvara.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

I drove home North Tipp via Abbeyleix direction yesterday with no problems,just the odd pothole flooded nothing major. There was a bit of a delay crossing over the barrow bridge along the roundabouts in Carlow when rubberneckers were stopping to watching two men take the water readings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Jemmy wrote: »
    the river has got so high cars were floating yesterday.

And where did you hear that?

OP If you're coming from the portlaoise side of town and going to the Kilkenny rd you can just take the ring road around town with no problems. Alternatively, you can go up the Killeshin hills, down through Milford and come onto the Kilkenny Rd at Milford Cross.

Traffic wise, Carlow is not badly affected. Graigcullen is under alot of water and the residents and business in that area are badly affected. Traffic is not a problem though.

Thanks Shay, that's the route I was going to take (I was born in Carlow, so I know my way around). Thanks for all the replies folks.... with all the rain due tomorrow, the drive back on Wednesday will be a whole new adventure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Mr E wrote: »
    The AA Roadwatch map is very good. Looks like the only other dodgy spot on my journey is outside Toomyvara.

It's Toomevara, don't believe what you read on signposts around there, they are all wrong! ;)

I *knew* it looked funny when I wrote it. :)
    Feck it, I drive through the place about once a month!

• Advertisement
Advertisement