Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spend about €5k, want something fast & pratical

• 23-11-2009 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I actually managed to sell one of my cars (yeehaaw!) so need to get a temporary replacement fast. I just want to get something cheap but fast and fun. Only want to spend about 5k and it s has to be something fairly respectable, so no scangermobiles with 2 foot wide exhausts. Also, must be from a garage as I want a warranty.

Something like a Mk IV GTI or V6 4Motion but I have already identified which of those I will look at.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

E36 M3? I would buy from an enthousiast rather than a garage though...

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

Yeah, had one before, nice cars but possibly a bit too fast for our roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Fast (ish), Practical and under €5,000

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Skoda/Octavia/1.8-VRS/200945195788081/advert?channel=CARS

There is a better private sale 2003 Black one for under €6,000 on carzone too, but you said dealer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭neil_purdy

unkel wrote: »
    E36 M3? I would buy from an enthousiast rather than a garage though...

for 5000?? Eh can you point one of these out to me???

neil_purdy wrote: »
    for 5000?? Eh can you point one of these out to me???

On carzone alone there are several of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭carmad

what about a leon 2.0 culpra, lovely car

I wouldn't go for any of the Golf IV GTI based cars mentioned above, except maybe for the TT (quattro 225BHP)

@OP - what do you mean the M3 is too fast? :confused:

Surely every car in the country is capable of exceeding the speed limits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

carmad wrote: »

You wont get a 2.0 CUPRA for that price. Possibility of an old Mk1 1.8t. I'd probably pick one over a Golf. Either that or the Octavia mentioned.

Or maybe this?

no-image-large.gif&width=400&height=300

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I've an Octavia VRS 1.8T (2002) OP, if you've any questions fire ahead.

I would recommened to visit briskoda.net but its been down since the weekend

@OP - what do you mean the M3 is too fast? :confused:

Surely every car in the country is capable of exceeding the speed limits?

The car is very heavy so it doesn't become fun until you really give it some welly. Only probalby is that there is so much power its like a caged animal being released. With our roads you feel like it could kill you at any moment.

Don't get me wrong, I had some great drives in that car, just allways left my palms sweaty when walking away and thankful to still be alive.:D

Probably best for a track car.

• Advertisement

R.O.R wrote: »
    Fast (ish), Practical and under €5,000

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Skoda/Octavia/1.8-VRS/200945195788081/advert?channel=CARS

There is a better private sale 2003 Black one for under €6,000 on carzone too, but you said dealer.

Not bad, but just don't like the look of them.

carmad wrote: »

Can't see any for sale around my price mark?

Robertr wrote: »
    The car is very heavy so it doesn't become fun until you really give it some welly. Only probalby is that there is so much power its like a caged animal being released. With our roads you feel like it could kill you at any moment.

Ah, ok. So you want a car that is fun to drive and feels fast. :)

Original Mini cooper? Mazda MX-5? Peugeot 205 GTI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

media?id=9090809&width=400&height=300
    Rare top of range 210bhp model (only €614 tax). Very clean example of this high performance yet practical car. All leather/extras. Full service history + receipts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Mitsubishi FTO?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

How about a ukdm Integra Type R?

I'm selling mine at the minute and you'd have change out of €5k

There much rarer than the jap model, look better in my opinion, easy to insure, are not associated with scangers like the jap model is.

Mine is completely standard, so isn't noisy at all and has been dyno'd recently showing a healthy engine.

DC834C7CE3EB49FCBAEE5B78D264D5B0-500.jpg

There currently great value for money and are an incredible car to drive

EDIT: forgot to mention that the back seats can easily fit two people in and the boot is massive too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

This should do - should come in under the 5k, very very practical and 2 litre turbo with jap reliability.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1062245

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

I'd go for a 200sx for 3k or Daffodx's ITR. Clio 172 would also be an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

jackncoke wrote: »
    I've an Octavia VRS 1.8T (2002) OP, if you've any questions fire ahead.

I would recommened to visit briskoda.net but its been down since the weekend

Fabia VRS would be a better buy imo.

Much better on fuel, insurance, reliabilty etc and once remapped you would be suprised with what it can keep up with in a straight line.Amount of torque at your disposable at low revs makes it fun on b roads.

http://www.fabia-vrs.com/downloads/files/diesel_car_188_fabia_vrs.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

325i with loads of money left.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

draffodx wrote: »
    How about a ukdm Integra Type R?

I'm selling mine at the minute and you'd have change out of €5k

There much rarer than the jap model, look better in my opinion, easy to insure, are not associated with scangers like the jap model is.

Mine is completely standard, so isn't noisy at all and has been dyno'd recently showing a healthy engine.

DC834C7CE3EB49FCBAEE5B78D264D5B0-500.jpg

There currently great value for money and are an incredible car to drive

EDIT: forgot to mention that the back seats can easily fit two people in and the boot is massive too
    How much would insurance be on that for me?

Currently I can get insured on a mondeo zetec for 1800, but no doubt the Teg will have more horses under the bonnet.

18, years no claims, full license, no points or convictions etc

My insurance company only give me quotes on imports over the phone and i cba enquiring :D

Bonito wrote: »

Currently I can get insured on a mondeo zetec for 1800, but no doubt the Teg will have more horses under the bonnet.

Maybe it's time for a reality check, Bonito :)

Maybe it is possible to get a quote on a lukewarm / hot hatch, but it will cost ya. Maybe better to drive a low risk car for another few years to build up your NCB and then move up to a better car?

Maybe it's time for a reality check, Bonito :)

Maybe it is possible to get a quote on a lukewarm / hot hatch, but it will cost ya. Maybe better to drive a low risk car for another few years to build up your NCB and then move up to a better car?
    Burst my bubble why dont ya :(

I think i'll stick to my mondeo :D

You don't know how good you have it Bonito. A few years ago you would have had to stick with your Daihatsu Cuore or your Toyota Starlet :D

For some reason Quinn like giving me rip off quotes with ANY import, even just starlets, glanzas and civics, any logical reason for this :confused:

What would the chef recommend on the menu in 2-3 years down the line :D

For some reason Quinn like giving me rip off quotes with ANY import, even just starlets, glanzas and civics, any logical reason for this :confused:

What would the chef recommend on the menu in 2-3 years down the line :D

Don't get me goin' :D

So many cars, so may options down the line for a 21 year old driver with a 3 year NCB. Best of luck to ya!

Ah t'would be a discussion for another night when we're not bollix tired and cba typing i see :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

My insurance company only give me quotes on imports over the phone and i cba enquiring :D

I paid €2500 for my first years insurance 3 years ago when i was 18 on a 1.2 punto:mad:. That quote you got on that zetec is very good. My insurance this year is €700 I have 3years ncb and 2 years full licence on a 1.4 mk4 golf.

eoin wrote: »
    Mitsubishi FTO?
    I'd agree, fto's are quite nice :D

What about a galant? Not sure how they drive though, bit heavy for the engine maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

You don't know how good you have it Bonito. A few years ago you would have had to stick with your Daihatsu Cuore or your Toyota Starlet :D

And even then you couldn't go for the 600cc Turbo version:rolleyes:

The years i spend driving my Daihatsu Charade dreaming about a;
    fs_742102.jpg

If you showed that to fellas in their civic and golfs they'd just laugh

Senna wrote: »
    And even then you couldn't go for the 600cc Turbo version:rolleyes:

The years i spend driving my Daihatsu Charade dreaming about a;
    fs_742102.jpg

If you showed that to fellas in their civic and golfs they'd just laugh
    i know a lad who has one of them :D has a dump valve and the whole lot on it :rolleyes:

You're 18,they can and will quote you whatever and however they feel like doing

Thanks for the suggestions lads but nothing there I'd be interested in, at least I know I'm not missing something obvious. Probably going to go from the MkIV GTI.

jackncoke wrote: »
    You're 18,they can and will quote you whatever and however they feel like doing
    That's a bit ageist IMO :D

Robertr wrote: »
    Probably going to go from the MkIV GTI.

The worst Golf GTI in history? Let me try again to convince you otherwise :)

Alfa 156 (V6 or even GTA)
    Alfa GTV V6 3l (not so practical but a modern classic. A lot of sportscar for the money)
    FIAT Coupe 2l turbo (zero depreciation, maybe even gaining value)
    BMW E30 325i sport (are these out of budget?)
    BMW E46 325ci coupe
    Nissan 300ZX
    VW Golf GTI Mk II

• Advertisement

That's a bit ageist IMO :D

No,that's life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Dan_B

Its not an import, its classed as an Irish car, even so you will have to ring up and ask for a quote on an ITR, it not being an import helps but at 18 I'd expect a big premium. Your current insurers on the mondeo technically have to provide you with a quote to change.

I'd imagine a good quote at your age would be €4k though

draffodx wrote: »
    Its not an import, its classed as an Irish car, even so you will have to ring up and ask for a quote on an ITR, it not being an import helps but at 18 I'd expect a big premium. Your current insurers on the mondeo technically have to provide you with a quote to change.

I'd imagine a good quote at your age would be €4k though
    At least someone was nice enough to answer my Q :D much appreciated, i was guessin roughly 3-3 and half grand because my friend has an evo VI and he was charged 3 and half, but that's a 2 litre and it was a jap import, plus he didnt have a years no claims because from 17-18 he was insured on his parents car as a named driver. I wouldnt pay that sorta money I was just curious as to IF i did get a car such as the TEG what kind of premium id be looking at, again thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

V6 Alfa GTV

And I wouldn't go looking for a warranty, they're generally not worth much and a well looked after private sale would be cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

How about a 2-litre, not-a-Gti Golf ? Almost as quick, without the gawdy bits, and a perfect sleeper ? 00 reg, 3500 iirc.

One near me for sale (down the road)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    How about a 2-litre, not-a-Gti Golf ? Almost as quick, without the gawdy bits, and a perfect sleeper ? 00 reg, 3500 iirc.

One near me for sale (down the road)
    Like this one?

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Golf/2.0/200839190082584/advert?channel=CARS

A 115BHP Golf IV?

*facepalm*

Nothing at all fast about that car. Nothing at all that would make me want to own one. There's so much else out there! Are you sure you're not on commission here, galwaytt? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Yep, 0 to 60 in a fortnight.

How about a 2-litre, not-a-Gti Golf ? Almost as quick, without the gawdy bits, and a perfect sleeper
    :eek:

A truely awful car, at least the 1.4 is frugal, if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭fonda

Galant vr4
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/982959

Brothers old car, sold it to this fella beautifull car loads of power!

or

Lexus IS200 SE, comfort and power without the skangery look of the altezza

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Dan_B wrote: »
    :eek:

The 1.4 may be frugal on juice.

What it is not frugal on is:

Purchase price
    Oil
    Repairs
    Worn bores, valve guides, failing oil pumps.

And that's only the bits I can remember.

The 2.0 is an under-stressed lump, I agree, but therein lies the secret to it's longevity.

And not, that's not the one, but it is similar, albeit 3-door.

And no, nothing in it for me.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

no scangermobiles :(:( lol

galwaytt Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dan_B

The 1.4 may be frugal on juice.

What it is not frugal on is:

Purchase price
    Oil
    Repairs
    Worn bores, valve guides, failing oil pumps.

And that's only the bits I can remember.

The 2.0 is an under-stressed lump, I agree, but therein lies the secret to it's longevity.

And not, that's not the one, but it is similar, albeit 3-door.

And no, nothing in it for me.

While your arguing which M4 golf is least bad, I'd be off buying a focus :D

Dan_B wrote: »
    While your arguing which M4 golf is least bad, I'd be off buying a focus :D

ST or RS? :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement