Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Times albums of the 00s

Options
  • 23-11-2009 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article6922991.ece

It’s actually their best “pop” albums of the decade. Something they clearly forgot when compiling this awful, awful list.

1. Kid A – Radiohead (not a pop album)
    2. Back to Black – Amy Winehouse
    3. In Rainbows – Radiohead (not a pop album)
    4. Speakerboxxx/Love Below – Outkast
    5. Blackout – Britney Spears
    6. Is this it – The Strokes

Stopped reading after this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

out of ten years of music and amy was the second best thing they could find?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I stopped looking through the list when I saw that Girls Allowed got a mention.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Pop despite your protestations is as valid a genre as any other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

lordgoat wrote: »

Of course it is. But the list is filled with albums that aren’t pop. And I feel like the word “pop” was just added to the title of the list to justify some very strange inclusions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

lordgoat wrote: »

I love a bit of pop but putting Blackout by Britney ahead of the majority of pop releases this decade screams of sensationalist journalism

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Of course it is. But the list is filled with albums that aren’t pop. And I feel like the word “pop” was just added to the title of the list to justify some very strange inclusions.
    The Times have always grouped their listings like this.

Also, I'm no Amy Winehouse fan but I'd imagine the album has been as influential as Is This It.

Blackout would also feature fairly highly on my top albums of the decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Need some help here, it appears there's not a single entry from The Killers on that list even though it features Franz Ferdinand, The Strokes, Kasabian, Arctic Monkeys and just about every other band that came on the scene early this decade...yet they've ommitted the good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

niallon wrote: »
    Need some help here, it appears there's not a single entry from The Killers on that list even though it features Franz Ferdinand, The Strokes, Kasabian, Arctic Monkeys and just about every other band that came on the scene early this decade...yet they've ommitted the good one!

Well, I can’t believe I’m going to jump in to defend this list – Hot Fuss is 4 brilliant songs. Not good enough. Their subsequent albums are mediocre.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

But the list is filled with albums that aren’t pop.
    You do know that the word "pop" comes from "popular"?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Yeah I'm confused by the OP's problem with referring to the two albums pointed out as not being pop. Surely they'd fall into the broad pop category?
    If not pop OP then what would you label them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Well, I can’t believe I’m going to jump in to defend this list – Hot Fuss is 4 brilliant songs. Not good enough. Their subsequent albums are mediocre.

Well obviously I'm speaking as a fan of The Killers but my point is more so to do with the fact that the list contains all the standard big seller bands of the last decade but is so abismally bad it omits The Killers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Hahaha, am I the only one who thinks it's a decent list? It's impossible for anyone to write a list like that and please everyone.

Kid A definitely deserves its place there. I would have put Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots at number 2 and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot a lot higher than it is. Nice to see Gruff Rhys there too :)

And (imo), The Killers don't deserve a mention.
    niallon wrote: »
    they've ommitted the good one!

...........I disagree :pac:

And in this context, 'pop' means 'not classical or jazz'. They did a jazz list too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Lists are f*cking retarded. I wish they'd stop making them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Kold wrote: »
    Lists are f*cking retarded. I wish they'd stop making them.

What's your top 10 most hated lists?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article6922991.ece

It’s actually their best “pop” albums of the decade. Something they clearly forgot when compiling this awful, awful list.

1. Kid A – Radiohead (not a pop album)
    2. Back to Black – Amy Winehouse
    3. In Rainbows – Radiohead (not a pop album)
    4. Speakerboxxx/Love Below – Outkast
    5. Blackout – Britney Spears
    6. Is this it – The Strokes

Stopped reading after this

Well if you stopped there, you read the 94 before that as well... ;)

That list is full of crap. There are some truly awful, awful albums on that list.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe pop is short for popular....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

BaZmO* wrote: »
    What's your top 10 most hated lists?
    Number 1: Lists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Sorry but, Britney...in the same list as Radiohead/The Strokes?

/Guffaws loudly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Jay P wrote: »
    Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe pop is short for popular....

Well it is, but in the same way that 'classical' is taken to mean baroque, classical, romantic, modern and contemporary, etc., 'pop' is taken to mean anything that isn't classical, jazz, or world I guess. If you're talking about music from a very overall, general sense. Which is what they're doing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Speakerboxxx/Love Below but no Stankonia...

Advertisement