Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Assistance on 42" purchase please

• 23-11-2009 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Everytime I look up TV's, I get googled eyed. So i'm hoping someone can just point me to what I need to say to a salesman, or just point me to where the best tv I can get for what I need is ...

Basically, am planning on getting folks a new tv. I'm thinking a 40" or 42", doesn't matter if its plasma, led or lcd. They'll be using with a normal sky+ box (no hd), but do watch a lot of sports, so something that wont' give a ghost image when watching football. Ideally, would also like to purchase a dvd player that will allow them to watch dvd's in hd quality. They currently have a sony tv, sound system and dvd player, so if we can keep the sound-system, all the better. There is a possibility of them getting a sky hd box in the future, but this would be at least a year away - but tv needs to be able to view hd.

I don't want to spend a fortune. My thoughts were to buy a reasonable one that would do them for a few years - is hd, but doesn't need to be top of the range. I'm thinking that what i'd pay €2k for today, will only cost €1k next year ... so am happy to have last years technology.

So help please ... what tv would best suit? What does it have to have in order to work properly with hd?

Thanks for any help

Edit: Been doing a bit of reading, and seems that plasma would suit best for both sports and viewing angles. Am looking at panasonic, thinking of the G10. Is this worth the extra compared to the X10 (€250 extra) thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

alowe wrote: »
    The "x" series are a very poor Panasonic. I am surprised they even released them, however they needed a price point.
    "G" and "S" in the Irish series are far better with a 5year warranty if memory serves me right..
    You could also look at the Sony 40" "S" series about the €750 mark also the "V" @ €850 also with a 5 year warranty.

>Sol

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭alowe

Sol - thanks for the reply. I did a lot of reading yesterday, esp on av forums, and for watching sd with the occasional hd, they were strongly recommending the x10 over the g10, to the extent that a lot who had purchased g10's returned them for x10's.

I'll take a look at that sony, but I thought sony didn't do plasma's anymore? I'm turned over the lcd due to its limited viewing angle - the room it'll be in is 24ft long and 14ft wide, so plenty of viewing angles needed!

I'm sending the mother out to powercity this morning to take a look at the tv's in real life ... but after reading, had come to the conclusion that the x10 was most suited to their needs (sitting min 9ft away, using normal sky box for rte and bbc). They also have a great offer in curry's for the x10 and a panasonic surround sound system for around €850 total - with the 5 year warranty.

Advertisement