Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I found a round.......

Options
  • 23-11-2009 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭

........whilst out walking in forest near Bunclody and want details.It was a brand-new .243 Winchester with what appeared to be a steel cartridge and a black round with a sharply pointed grey tip.I found two of them and one of a standard, brass-cased .243 Winchester. I've seen and handled thousands of brass rounds but never saw a steel cased one before,except for drill rounds.I handed them in to the Gardai.
    regards
    Stovepipe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

What did the headstamp on the grey case say?
    Any pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Like this?
    293948_d.jpg

They wouldn't be unusual. Just a product from Winchester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭rob308

Was it a stainless/chrome cartridge? Probably something like a winchester round, ballistic tip or their version of it. I used rounds like this when i had my previous rifle (ie chrome/stainless cartridge black bullet with a grey polymer tip)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Sounds like a ballistic tip. Winchester make them with silver cases (probably plated brass) and black bullet with grey tip.

[Pic above from It wasn't me is exactly what I meant]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭rob308

Thats the one. You beat me to it. Nothing out of the ordinary as IWM says. Standard and very popular round for most calibres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Hi there,
    Thanks lads.They're exactly right.:) The head stamp was .243 Win and what appeared to be GECO or EECO . Are they interchangeable with brass cased rounds?
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Hi there,
    Thanks lads.They're exactly right.:) The head stamp was .243 Win and what appeared to be GECO or EECO . Are they interchangeable with brass cased rounds?
    Stovepipe

Yeah, I think they're just nickel-plated brass anyway.

Advertisement