Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flu Liner

Options
  • 23-11-2009 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I recently took out an open fire in my living room and installed a stove in its place. I broke out a hole under the chimney and have the stove set back in under the wall and I constructed a brick arch.

However when knocking out the hole to reset the stove in the wall some of the sand/lime mix that was around the liner was removed.

I am reluctant to light the stove due to the liner not being fully surrounded with the sand/lime mix at the bottom. I have went to the top of the chimney and broke off the capping piece with the intention of knocking the sand/lime mix down to the bottom of the chimney but it is not budging. I have even broke a hole in the chimney in the roof space to try and get it moving but this too has been unsuccessful.

I was just wondering has anyone experienced something like this and if so what did you do?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055394080&highlight=stove+flue&page=8

at the end of this thread a pro is posting advice, might be worth pming him for help?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Best practice with a wood burning stove is to fit a flexible twin wall stainless steel liner inside the existing ceramic liner and to fill the gap between the liner and old flue with vermiculite to act as an insulator. With such a set up you would not need to worry about topping up the sand lime mix I would guess.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

I had an open fire place and put in a stanley oil stove.

I was told to put in a lined flu, which consisted of a single walled flexible stainless steel flu. Seemingly the gases from oil & gas can damage the old style flu's if not lined.

I got up on the roof, dropped down a rope, tied on the flu and pulled it up.
    Secure the flu on top by a copper pipe going thru the top and hooked it on the outlet. and then put on a chinese hat.

works perfectly.

k

• Registered Users Posts: 13 madmaxter

Cheers for the replies lads very useful thanks

Advertisement